scoop under car, anyone done it?

myexonenine

True Classic
thinking of making a scoop with a mesh screen under the engine bay to draw up some of that high pressure air up and through, has anyone done this before? pro's? con's?

There is a lot of turbulence down there, not sure how well a scoop would function. Also thinking about how much lower you plan on dropping the scoop below the floor pan, and how long that would last before something hits & destroys it. Your best bet would be to vent the engine bay more, and that will naturally draw in more air.

yeah I've removed the rain tray, but the side scoops will be used for oil cooler and intercooler aswell as intake.

Maybe I could use the low air pressure behind the boot to draw air through the engine bay... but I would still like to have most of the boot available for luggage.

To get a good visual of the bottom of an X check this thread out, http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/5933/.

I would think twice about putting stuff in the rear trunk, and even more so if you are going to have a turbo back there.

For my turbo I picked up an air to water intercooler, this will allow me to keep side intake vents free from obstruction, and shorten the overall length of intake pipe. trunk mounted oil cooler, & a well vented trunk. I also have some intake ideas in the works, depending on how they turn out I may reproduce them. Chances are though, they will be very expensive to produce.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about it way back when...

thinking of making a scoop with a mesh screen under the engine bay to draw up some of that high pressure air up and through, has anyone done this before? pro's? con's?

The only concern I really had was the engine sucking in a big glug of water from a puddle. But if you don't drive the car in the rain, you're probably safe.

Pete

I too have removed the raintray... an used...

... one of the side scoops as a direct intake ducted to the carb...

Both side scoops have their gridwork shaved and the natural low pressure area behind the backlight causes air to flow UP and out without the need for a lower scoop.

Remove your backlight (I ran without mine for over 2 years...) and you can literally FEEL the heat at speed... which is what I got tired of feeling...

Have fun...

thanks for the link

The idea would be that the scoop would run the width of the engine bay and not be lower than the lowest part of the car, also being close to the wheels would help it avoid bumps, but maybe its not even needed... maybe it would be useful as a track day bolt on, where extra cooling is needed.

An air DAM would be better than a scoop. A dam made of some flexible plastic, placed just behind the axles. Wouldn't have to be pretty.

The FIAT 850 did something similar, but it was a bottom rear-facing scoop that draws hot air down and out the bottom, cool air sucked down through the rear deck, and through the radiator in the back. Not the best design at all.....but it worked.

Sorry Hussein... I was trying to show...

... some old school CULTURE.

"Backlight" is the back window... I think it was a British term originally. "Wings" are fenders, "bonnet" can be the HOOD or the TRUNK, depending... "rear bonnet"... "Spanner" is usually an open wrench.

Anyway... just having fun here... Know any Swedish terms?

Like this:
Porsche-914-Orange-Under.jpg

This is allot like what I was thinking of, maybe I could use my old busted plastic front spoiler off the big bumper :D that always seemed to cope with a fair amount of abuse...

Back