Scratch Off Another One...

That rather makes my case....

for the narrow legalism of it. To repeat, the issue isn't whether some statute can be passed or even if the SCOTUS upholds it but what this means against a broader principled position which would disallow the expedient categorization (by precisely who? who decides who is now an enemy combatant? why would there location be germane? and as Dan has corrected me, it isn't even a citizenship issue) of whole and largely undefinable groups for purposes of extra judicial summary execution and calling that 'due process'. It's just too facile, too prone to abuse and antithetical to what I understand the rule of law to be.
This ratchets up the power (already overweening) of the Executive to the point of making Congress a mere rubber stamp. This is the Roman Senate under the Ceasars. And it is clear that once this power is vested is not given back.

Hamdi reversed...

a suspension of habeas corpus thereby granting Hamdi and other detained enemy combtants who are US citizens the right to a hearing before an impartial judge. What, in this ruling, am I missing that would allow extra judicial summary execution of a US citizen?:hmm: It would seem to tend the other direction in favor of more, not less, due process.

Wimps!

Just grab 'em, throw them to the deck face down and pump 5 rounds of 5.62 ammo into the back of their heads.

You can always pay off the grieving relatives later, especially when you find out that the guy was not an internal security threat, but a Brazilian plumber carrying his tools to work.

Ya see, that is where...

an unwritten constitution comes in so darn handy.:p

Is Brazilian plumber like French chef or Swiss watchmaker? You guys have special Brazilian plumbing that takes special plumbers? :huh:
We had special White House plumbers here for a few years-do you know about them? They weren't very satisfactory and got sent to prison for being incompetent or something. One can imagine that handling all the s**t coming out of the WH would be put a strain on even the best piping.

Thanks, Dan....

The tone struck me at first as a bit strident but seems justifiable in light of the whole of the article. He sealed his bona fides with me by virtue of quoting Mencken.

I did browse around the web on this and it seems pretty clear that the secrecy surrounding the legal justifications can only lead to the conclusion that John Woo is still toiling away in the basement of DoJ somewhere.

Perhaps this country has simply become too cowardly to live by the principles it espouses so bravely to the rest of the world. A friend once said to me in passing that he thought America was too fearful and too immature to actually handle either the free market or democracy in general. Both of which he thought demanded levels of collective courage, responsibility and sense of fair play that were simply beyond our capacity in ordinary times. I have, reluctantly, come around almost completely to his point of view since 9/11.
We seem like children always searching for some parental savior to spare us the temporary suffering of living up to some standard or other of good behavior that would lead us to adulthood...a nation of adolescents, I think:blackeye::blackeye:

Can this be translated to non educated?

The guy seemed like kind of a jackass but then he started making good points. He then quoted a Nazi sympathizer and that really helped his argument. :p

Actually, I don't think there was anything in that article that I disagreed with. The more I know about this guy they offed the more troubling the whole thing is. Sounds like he was little more than a propagandist.

Well, back in those days...

all kinds were Nazi sympathizers and downright anti-semites(H. Ford for one). But let's not cave in to a common fallacy and dismiss the message because of the messenger. There is too much of that going on everywhere today. Heidegger is still in the curriculum at Berkeley as far as I know.:p And Marx and Lenin had things worth considering on the subject of capital-but we have become so used to accept argument from authority that we set aside the argument in particular if does not issue from a pre-approved authority. I know this will simply shock, but I know liberals who dismiss, out of hand, everything Ron Paul says on grounds that Ron Paul said it.:devil:

Wonder if they...

imported and rebuilt Star Chamber in the White House basement the way they brought London Bridge to Lake Havasu?:p:p

Wait for when we get someone truly awful as President-methinks Bush and Obama are merely John the Baptist(s) in this stuff.

Hey Walt! I think we got something here!

"To be: or not to be. That is the .... getzorninplat"
(With apologies to Bob Newhart. From his sketch 'An Infinite Number of Monkeys')

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezPzOrcf7QE"]Chimp Script Department - YouTube[/ame]

Classic Newhart:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3JvGyj8pI8&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=AVGxdCwVVULXfeFQ1XDmTNiZQ5AQtr4nsk"]Bob Newhart The Driving Instructor - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArMf6xbMsLI&feature=fvwrel"]Bob Newhart - "Defusing A Bomb" - HILARIOUS! - YouTube[/ame]

Always a little space for classic Newhart, hey Dan? :hug:

Last edited:
Back