Sealing windshield

carl

True Classic
My 128 windshield leaks pretty bad. Is there a way to remove the stainless steel trim and without removing the windshield to add sealer between the glass and body?

According to the manual, the windshield is glued in and at this point in time I really don't want to remove the windshield.

carl

Nope. The trim wraps around the glass so you'll just bend it if you don't pull the windshield. Mike M had a neat trick where he tape-masked around the windshield opening and squeezed sealant into the groove, packed it in, then pulled the mask. You might have to do it on both sides of the trim (trim-to-glass and trim-to-body) to stop all the leaks.

Windshield

Thanks Courtey. I went to Advance Auto to get a tube of windshield sealer but they no longer carry it. Maybe I'll just use clear silicon sealer for now although it looks like someone already did this years ago.

If I decide to pull the windshield will I need to get any gasket parts to reinstall or is just the spacers and standard windshield adhesive all I need? I have a friend who has pulled and reinsitalled several Fiat windshields so I have access to the necessary skills and experience.

carl

sealer

Butyl is a good sealer for windshields because it doesn't totally dry like silicone and urethane. it stays flexible as the car shifts and maintains a seal. if you can get under the lip of the seal it should help a lot. It gets messy, keep lots of rags and Brake Kleen on hand.

Field tested...

A temporary patch, done 4 years ago, is holding fast.
Pretty tedious to mask, but mandatory to allow
forceful squeegee of sealer into the hidden voids.
spud002_zps7e7deec0.jpg

spud003_zpsef23aff6.jpg

Wow, nicely done, Mike.....!

.....A temporary patch, done 4 years ago, is holding fast......

As per MikeM's usual standard, a very clean and tidy repair accomplished, on what can be a real messy "prick" of a job to undertake! :thumbsup:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Later model 128's have the windscreen mounted with a rubber.. and then a 'chrome' spreader strip is added to the groove in the rubber. Much easier to mount,and unless your 100% about originality for that model year, is definitely easier to mount and a more weatherproof seal.

SteveC

Steve,

Can you confirm whether the gasketed windshield is the same size as the glue-in ones? Chris Obert did the gasket conversion on his Rally years ago but I think he told me he had to source the windshield to match.

Different windshield

Mike Richmond was planning on using the rubber seal, but found that it didn't fit the windshield he had. I believe that Chris did carry the correct windshield, but ask this involves additional $.

I've removed sealed in windows, and refitted them with a rubber seal...never heard about anyone having issues before, AFAIK there is only one windscreen size to fit all 128's....very early ones here in Australia were safety glass, later models were laminated, that's the only difference I've ever run across.

I've also removed several rear screens that were bonded in, and refitted them with a rubber, never had an issue.

Most difficult part is fitting the spreader strip, and finding the correct section, lots of water based lube (KY) always seems to work best.

SteveC

Last edited:
Spacers and windshield adhesive is essentially all you need.

The factory manual has a lengthy description of the installation process, including fixtures for securing the glass in place while the adhesive cures that use the "recommended" Fiat 125 clutch lever return spring! :lol:

The procedure outlines aligning the glass in the car and gluing the spacers to it, then removing and gluing the stainless trim on before finally gluing it in the car. I'm sure your glass guy will know what to do.

Windshiel seal

For now, I did the trick of just masking the body and trim and forcing sealant down in the gab. I did notice some "holes" in the seal when masking and made sure I got sealant in them. The car is in rattle can hot rod black and needs lots of body repair so hopefully I'm good to go for the moment. When it's time for real paint maybe I'll pull the windshield and do it right. I don't drive the car in the rain but sometimes I have to park it outside of the garage and want sealing for rain on a static vehicle at the moment.

carl

Back