Searching, and a possible find

Carter

Low Mileage
SO i've been interested in x1/9s for awhile now. I recently sold some rims, and also came across an ad for a 79 model. The car comes with the engine tranny, and most everything else. It doesn't run. The guy is wantin around 500 for it but I am positive I can talk him into 400 (he got it free off a lady he worked for).

I finally went to look at it in person today. I still can't really tell on what to do about spotting the rust. I don't really know if what I saw was bad or good. I looked for as long as I could, but I really didn't know what to look for so I tried to take a mental picture of it all, hoping you guys can help guide me here?

I REALLY want an x1/9, and this fits my budget. I just don't want to dump money into fixing the body or find out I have a big problem and structural integrity is compromised. I know I will put money into it obviously, but I don't want to have to put it into fixing/repairing the frame.

:/ what hope do I have of finding a 500 dollar car? Im guessing not much but you guys might have some examples. I don't expect it to be running. but I would like to get one that has minimal rust.

It has the floor pans fairly rusted. The trunk space up front is rusted. The fenders have a few spots here and there. I looked around the windshield seal but I couldn't tell or see any rust. It looked like it had some sealant on it or something maybe?

He jacked up the car on one side, and under the floor pans, there was rust. It looked like two seperate sheets of metal (the floor pan) where it was sort of sagging. Trying to provide as much detail for some help.

Here is the Craigslist link to it. IF it just so happens to be a deal, please don't steal :) lol.

Any help you guys could give would be GREATLY appreciated.

http://fortsmith.craigslist.org/cto/2821308662.html

If you have a body shop do the work, you are looking at at least $3500 to fix rust and spray paint.

There are fairly nice x's out there for that much $

Why doesn't it run?? Could be multiple problems with it.... all he mentioned was that it has new gaskets... Could be something major if it still doesn't run after new gaskets.

Well sounds like a no go then :( thanks for the information and voice of reason. You guys think I can find nicer? This is the only somewhat local x I've seen in the last 5 years. Actually the second to be exact. And this most recent one was an hour and a half drive one way :/.

My opinion

Coming from someone that had debated, lost sleep, and didnt want to regret not getting his, I would do it...especially if you have a place to keep it where you can tinker with it anytime you want...Its a 33 year old car (same as mine) and I have taken upon myself to really read up and try to do most of it myself...and I am finding out its really not that hard. Parts are on ebay, craigslist (I even placed an ad looking for parts) and much easier to come by than when I had my first one in 1985.
Plus, if you find it too overwhelming and the car wont start, strip it and keep the parts for the future or sell them. The seats alone will get your money back! :)
Just my opinion.
Jeff

these cars are still not that rare where you "have to buy" the first cheap rough car you find. unless you are in need a parts car. in my experience, its worth looking for the right car for 6 months and spending more up front instead of dumping 6 months or more time and $$ fixing up the wrong car.

Not bad!

But of course I'm no expert, I got mine for 3 benjamins plus tow expenses, engine running good, some rust and hydraulic issues. The interior is better than mine; follow your heart, after all the journey has just begun.

AMEN!!!

Buying my rusty but complete 78 led me right to my 79 for a swap. Amazing how it all works... Make yourself happy!!!

And there are so many great people here for support and help!

my 2 pennies

I would pass on this one.

If you really want an X, save up a little more and get something 10 times nicer for 3 times as much. A $1500 X will still have plenty to tinker on, but you'll get to drive and enjoy it which REALLY helps the motivation factor....

That one just looks/sounds like a TALL mountain to climb...which can get very expensive and overwhelming. Way more expensive than if you had started with a better one to begin with. If you're concerned about the dollars and sense of things, it really pays to pony up a little more on the initial investment.

Depends.

You'd have to be willing to put in some serious time and money to get that car running and looking good again. As someone who is in college and owns a relatively clean X1/9, I can say from experience that things can take a while to get done.

That said, you could buy that car and make your money and then some parting it out. The seats look clean anyway and people always seem to be wanting good replacement seats.

My two cents

Hi,

I agree with many on here. Yes, it's cheap, but sometimes a car isn't worth buying at any price, unless you need parts.

I paid $1,200 about nine months ago for a 1978 that ran (badly) and had locked up brakes in the rear, but seemed fairly solid rustwise -- though, my god, it certainly has some! I also got a bunch of spare parts, some of which I sold or installed in the car as a nice upgrade. Internally, I kind of figure I got the car for $800 to $1,000, which I think is about as low as you want to go for a car that will be restored. Just getting something that'll run (if badly) tells you lots of things about condition.

Take your time. Maybe sock away another couple hundred. This summer there'll be cars coming out of the woodwork.

Just 2 cents,

Dave

Seems like too much rust and in need of way too much work.Ill stay away from it and keep looking.One will come in better shape for you.

Back