seat cover sought

jvandyke

True Classic
My driver's seat, butt part has split a seam. Just wondering if someone has a nice skin, black and I can just swap 'em. Plan has been take it apart and either fix it myself or get it done but if someone has a good one so much the better.
rippedseat.jpg

yuck
to each his own
seat "cover" may be the wrong word, seat skin? original vinyl....I think they will pull off an on, no? I haven't tried taking mine apart yet, I will add in new foam too.....
wow
cow
now

I now find these
Seat Skins

$500? no thanks

Last edited:
Hey now... you know better

Jesus, did he get one of those seats from a barn on American Pickers? Maybe a street-fight sale?

The first rule of Seat Street Fight Club is: You never talk about Seat Street Fight Club.

Do the vinyl covers just "pull off" the bottoms? or isn't it that easy?
Matt's seats state "blue" they look black and WAY worse then what I have.
Looking at the rest of Matt's stock, even the used skins demand a pretty good price, I might just have to try and work on mine after all.
Passenger side won't swap to driver's without loosing the indent for seat belt retractor too, I think.

BTW I swear I posted this in the FSW forum. Oops, sorry, although it may end up being a repair vs. a buy and swap.
I was thinking of pulling the skin off, repairing the split seam from underneath and adding a reinforcement panel, stuffing in some new foam.
No idea if that is feasible or not.

He is also flexible...

...on stitching preferences. You don't HAVE to get the scary diamond style stitching. I am about to pull the trigger on a set from him done with horizontal ribbing to kind of resemble a late X style look.

Having had quality, custom...

....seat upholstery made for several of my X's over the years...I can attest that $300 is a very good price for a pair of excellent fitting seat covers. These aren't the same style of covers that you'll pick up at AutoZone in a bag.

sheepskins!

mine are torn also, but I will be just putting some sheepskin covers on for now, I've used these in other cars and they are really comfy and don't get hot and sticky in the sun. Maybe someday I will recover the seats but for now the sheepskins will be great.

Re: seats

Hi Jeff. Don't have a black seat cover for you but I can tell you a few things to help you.

First, the seat skin can be fairly easily removed. First you must remove the entire seat from the car. It's pretty easy on an X. Just reach under the bottom of the seat from the back - hope you have small hands - and unhook the large spring - if it is still attached - then simply pull the seat travel lever and slide the whole seat forward until it leaves the track. Remove the seat upper by removing brackets and levers that hold it to the seat bottom. Now take the lower seat unit and turn it upside down. Around the perimeter the seat material is just sort of folded over the frame. Unfold it and it will peel back easily. Now the next part is tough to describe but fairly easy to do. There are three cloth extensions sewn to the seat cover that extend down to the seat springs with a loop in the bottom that rods slip through. These are held to the seat springs by some stupid clips called hog rings. They are basically a square wire bent 360 degrees. With a couple of pairs of pliers and a screwdriver and some choice words spread the clips open and spin them around to remove them. The seat cover will now pull right off. It's really much easier than it sounds and shouln't take you more than a few minutes!

Now I'm sure your seat bottom is actually torn at the sewing line. You might be able to have it resewn a little tighter if you are lucky. By the way, I usually take this kind of work to the local shoe repairman. They are great at sewing vinyl and are used to working cheap!

By the way, the seat bottom skins are the same driver or passenger. Only the uppers are different left to right. I think the frames are different but if you can find a passenger bottom skin in decent shape (more likely) from someone then just swap skins. Of course check your foam while its apart. Its okay just to add some if you feel yours is weak.

Another idea is if you can find another upper just cut out a piece from the backside (its gotta be in great shape!) and use the material to have the shoemaker sew in a replacement panel or two. Should match perfect!

Hope this helps. Good luck. Doug

Seconded...

I also have taken seat sewing jobs to a local shoe repair place. Actually you can do it yourself with a good machine and a large gauge needle, but I had to take it in for the part of my VW seat that involved vinyl covered piping.

Thanks, that helps.
It is torn at the seam, the material that used to be sown together is ripped so it's more than just a resew, I hoped to do a sandwich job with new material backing it with lots of vinyl glue clamped and then resewn. Probably wouldn't hold, but maybe.
seatfix.jpg

seat stuff

Just wondering
Are the seat bottoms and tops interchangeable between newer and older seats?
Thanks

....seat upholstery made for several of my X's over the years...I can attest that $300 is a very good price for a pair of excellent fitting seat covers. These aren't the same style of covers that you'll pick up at AutoZone in a bag.

$300 is a good price for nice stuff to finish off a nice car but I've got NO money for anything like that, maybe a bit to buy a decent used skin but that's about it.

vinyl sewing

i use my local boat shop to sew anything thats heavy duty ,vinyl ,canvas,
webbing etc. they do it cheap for cash.

cheers
pete

p.s. Toss those *#^%$ springs...

No need to reinstall them... Makes seat removal and installation a snap.

Also... on the seat track, on the seat bottom itself... spread open the slides a bit with a pair of pliers... it will make getting them started on the pan rails soooo much easier.

Back