Seatbelt attachment missing

ryansmith

Daily Driver
I just got this 79 X last week, and one of the issues I'm working on is that the nuts for the lap portion of the seatbelts are missing (the roller, shoulder piece, and buckle are in place, so they are semi-functional). The place where the other end of the seatbelt attaches is just a hole in the body with nothing on the inside (pictured). I'm thinking of having a nut welded on the inside of the hole if I can figure out how to access it, but I don't know if that's even possible. Otherwise I'm thinking I could weld a nut to the outside of the hole, but I'm not sure how structurally sound that would be. It obviously didn't have anything welded there before so I don't know how it was attached.

I've also thought about just cutting a washer so that it can slide in and then turn sideways to lock in place, but that would require using a much smaller bolt in order to fit the nut and washer through the hole

Any ideas on how to securely attach a seatbelt here?

PXL_20220824_005454817.jpg

Can you take a picture that would give us a view of where the area you are looking at. This picture is so up close, I am having trouble figuring out where this hole is located. Maybe show the seat belt as well. 79 was a true cross over year with lots of changes. New engine, transmission, interior, belts, etc.

I looked through the pictures I have from my former 79 and couldn't find one with a seat out. I thought I recalled the 79 belts were "odd" for an X. I am pretty sure the "stalk" mounted lap latch was 79 only.
IM001740.JPGIM001742.JPG

This is a picture from my 78. In the yellow circle at the lower right of the picture, you can see the circle punched out of the tunnel insulation to access the wellnut for the lap belt.

IM003020b.jpg

Ok. I was thinking of the other side. I will see what other pics I can find.

Look deeper down closer to the floor. Pic from my 86. Look how low the bolt is.
20220823_220144.jpg
Same area on my 78 with the carpet removed. I am pointing at the small threaded hole.
20220823_220221.jpg
The pictures aren't great. I just took them and was hurrying a bit.

Oooh okay thanks! I believe it has a new carpet, so that was the only hole I could find. I'll see if I can get at it without ruining the carpet too much.

I also thought this was about the inner side, at the tunnel.

I just went out to take a couple pics. This '79 has been sitting stripped for a while so it is dirty, and it's dark out. But I think Jim is right that you may be looking at the wrong hole. The one for the seatbelt is small and low down. The nut is behind the sheet metal. Passenger side but it's the same as the driver's.

001.JPG

That box looking structure to the right is where the seatbelt retractor mechanism mounts. The door is above and that's the floor just below the hole.

Closer up....
002.JPG

Mine also had a couple of larger open holes in that inner rocker panel but I covered them before applying the grey paint, so they don't show up in these pics.

The hole for a seatbelt nut would not have a rolled edge to it. It seems the guys have found the problem.

Thank you all for the help! The right hole was buried pretty deep under carpet so I didn't even know it was there. Managed to find it and cut a hole to reattach the seatbelt. Now just to find a replacement bolt for the seatbelt on the other side. The bolts they had at the hardware store didn't match the threading.

Thank you all for the help! The right hole was buried pretty deep under carpet so I didn't even know it was there. Managed to find it and cut a hole to reattach the seatbelt. Now just to find a replacement bolt for the seatbelt on the other side. The bolts they had at the hardware store didn't match the threading.
This may be a case where contacting MWB and asking them what bolt you need is the best course of action. They probably have a box of them somewhere.

I think the standard bolt size for seatbelts is 7/16” UNF.

There was a previous discussion about the seatbelt mounting bolts. If I recall I believe they are a standard US thread (SAE, inch size), oddly enough. However they are a hardened bolt and might(?) have a larger than normal head...I'd have to go look again to see if that's correct. But search for the older thread on this because it had all of the details you need to get a replacement.

EDIT: I see @twincam69 beat me to the answer.

I would definitely contact MWB or someone who has a parted X, there are several washers that are part of this set up you will need.

Back