self healing heater valve

jvandyke

True Classic
So, my heater control valve was stuck open since I got the car. I sprayed the external bits with PB Blaster early on, beat on it a bit, and left it alone (for a later date). Every once in a while I'd push on the lever for fun. So this morning it gives! I can turn my heat on and off. Bonus.:sun:

Sweet

Mine was stuck closed. It never freed up, even after I got it out of the car and soaked it in PB blaster for 2 days.

You should run out and buy a Lotto ticket Jeff. :)

I've heard of people putting a quart of ATF in their coolant as, I don't know, an anti corrosive, water pump lube, no idea. I've done water wetter stuff before. Can't help but wonder if such things might help keep a heater valve working better longer. In my case, it started working just because it loves me.:grouphug:

I've heard of people putting a quart of ATF in their coolant as, I don't know, an anti corrosive, water pump lube, no idea. I've done water wetter stuff before. Can't help but wonder if such things might help keep a heater valve working better longer. In my case, it started working just because it loves me.:grouphug:

That is a very bad idea. It will pretty much ruin every rubber part in the system.

That is a very bad idea. It will pretty much ruin every rubber part in the system.

Yep, no idea here. I just know some old timers have added a bit of ATF for years and years with only beneficial results, don't remember where I read it or what cars we were discussing. Heck not even sure it was ATF.:dead:

Yep, no idea here. I just know some old timers have added a bit of ATF for years and years with only beneficial results, don't remember where I read it or what cars we were discussing. Heck not even sure it was ATF.:dead:

NOT ATF!!!! If you've ever seen a cooling system with a bad trans cooler (built in to the rad), you'd know why. EVERY hose in the cooling/heater system needs to be replaced as a result - they will swell & tear due to the breakdown of the hose as a result.

Back