Shell X 100 oil stabilizer?

Eastep

True Classic
Anyone use it?
15297803659788640361383062344555.jpg

Yes, it's fresh-ish. It has the pull out style "easy pour" spout, so Id say it's current market. Seen some on eBay for like $19.99. This was at Ollie's for $2.99 or 3.99.

I agree that something about that can looks very "vintage". Maybe why the price was so good?

Regardless, the subject of oil additives is always good for a great debate. I tend to think modern oils (especially premium ones) have everything they need already mixed in.

But if you want to spend several hours reading opinions on it, look over at the forum called "Bob the oil Guy" (or something like that). When I was Googling something a while back one of the hits was a thread on that site. It was like 20-30 pages long! Going back and forth, "no, you are wrong". All about the virtues of 10W-30 vs 10W-40, or something trivial like that! Never looked at the forum since, life is too valuable to waste. So I spend all of my time here. :p

The can is meant to look "vintage". The stuff is aimed towards vintage and classic cars. She'll X100 has a line of products ranging from zinc break-in oil, regular oil, and additives. Wayne Carrini (spelling?), Swears by the stuff for his restorations. I was just curious if anyone here had personally used it. I trust my family here, much more then a well known classic car guy, simply because corporate dollars can sometimes skew people's opinions. If you know what I mean?

The can is meant to look "vintage". The stuff is aimed towards vintage and classic cars. She'll X100 has a line of products ranging from zinc break-in oil, regular oil, and additives. Wayne Carrini (spelling?), Swears by the stuff for his restorations. I was just curious if anyone here had personally used it. I trust my family here, much more then a well known classic car guy, simply because corporate dollars can sometimes skew people's opinions. If you know what I mean?
What is that stuff suppose to do? Stabilize what? I like the notion of adding zinc to the oil in old cars without roller cams, but stabilize?

I could get on board with the zinc additive notion, especially for breaking-in a newly rebuilt engine with solid lifters. Of course there are "break-in oils" for that. But I think modern oil formulas are about as "stable" as you can get (as least as far as our current knowledge of chemistry and lubrication goes). For the most part I doubt it could hurt to add stuff to the oil, however I suppose there is a remote possibility of disrupting the chemical balance of some elements in a negative way. This one was inexpensive but most of the additives on the market are not, and I think any potential $$ savings in wear or fuel mileage would be offset by their cost. If you are concerned with your engine's lubrication, it might be better to change the oil more frequently and/or use high grade synthetic oil.

Back