Shift rod seal replacement with a few extras

I started out yesterday planning on just changing my shift rod seal which arrived just a few days after I ordered it from Eurosport (UK). The job went quicker than I had planned. The most significant difficulty was making sure the boot was not damaged during removal. I put that boot on in 1980 and it still looked brand new. I used the open end wrench method as described on this forum to remove the old seal. In order to protect the new seal from damage during installation, I followed the recommendation from this forum and wrapped the end of the shift rod with electrical tape to prevent any snags on the new seal. Once I got the seal into position, I had to decide on how to drive it in. I started looking in my toolbox for a deep reach socket with the right diameter to drive in the seal with a hammer. Not finding one with a suitable OD, ID, and length, I went into another toolbox (originally owned by my brother) and found this:

Tool for driving in Shift Rod Seal - 0.875 OD 0.75 ID 2.375 Length.jpg

I'm not sure what it was originally intended for but if I was designing a tool to drive in shift rod seals it would look like this. The OD is .875", ID is .75", and the length is 2.375". The ID is large enough to slide over the shift rod and small enough to keep it precisely on axis. The OD is just right to drive the seal, and the length is enough to avoid hitting the shift rod.

Having successfully completed the above in less time than I anticipated, I became a great target for scope creap on this project. I had remembered a discussion about the shift rod lollipop suffering from delamination between the rubber and steel resulting in a loss of shifting ability. The prescribed solution was to run a bolt (or two) through the lollipop. That seemed like a good idea so I decided to give it a try. I drilled a hole thru the center of the lollipop, tapped one side for an M8x1.25, and made a hole in the other side for the M8 to go through. I put in a bolt and tightened it enough to compress the rubber a bit and then "double nutted" the whole thing to keep it tight.

Transaxle Modified Lollipop - Top.jpg

Transaxle Modified Lollipop - Bottom.jpg

The last task I added to the project was to switch to Redline MTL. I ordered a gallon from Amazon around midnight and it is supposed to arrive Wednesday. I had been using Castrol GTX 20W50 since I replaced the synchros in 1983 with no issues but I thought the arguements to make the switch were worthwhile. Since my shift rod seal and Tripode boots and seals are pretty new, I am hoping for no leaks. I think I replaced the input shaft seal in 1983 along with the synchros so it only has a bit over 30K on it. With the price of MTL, I guess you can watch dollar bills dripping off your car with a good leak.

That brings me to the last task which is refilling the transaxle. My standard way of doing it with GTX was a funnel with an extension hose. That usually worked fine but a few times the hose would move out of the fill hole or separate from the funnel. With something as cheap and viscous as GTX, it wasn't a big deal (except for cleaning up the mess). I was thinking that a more reliable approach needs to be taken with the MTL. Any suggestions?

An assistant perhaps to ensure the end of the funnel stays in the opening?
That brings me to the last task which is refilling the transaxle. My standard way of doing it with GTX was a funnel with an extension hose. That usually worked fine but a few times the hose would move out of the fill hole or separate from the funnel. With something as cheap and viscous as GTX, it wasn't a big deal (except for cleaning up the mess). I was thinking that a more reliable approach needs to be taken with the MTL. Any suggestions?

As far as assistants go, I already know what the answer would be if I asked my wife to get under the car and keep the hose in the fill hole. Maybe a very outside chance that I could get her to pour the MTL in the funnel from above while I stay below.

I thought about using a hand pump. I've got an HFT one but it is pretty terrible. Not sure I want to chance it at $76/ga. I started looking for pumps on line but was surprised to see that the vast majority of the reviews for non professional level pumps ($$$) rated poorly with leaks being a major issue. @JKIDD any recommendations on a pump?

This is the pump I bought. Haven't used it since so I can speak of its durability.
Limited-time deal: SEDY Lubricant Fluid Transfer Pump, Transmission Fluid Pump, Gear Oil Pump for Gallon Bottles and Quart Bottles, Differential Fluid Pump, Hand Transfer Gear Oil, Transmission and Differential Fluid https://a.co/d/51XYBFE

My standard way of doing it with GTX was a funnel with an extension hose. That usually worked fine but a few times the hose would move out of the fill hole or separate from the funnel. With something as cheap and viscous as GTX, it wasn't a big deal (except for cleaning up the mess). I was thinking that a more reliable approach needs to be taken with the MTL. Any suggestions?
Same hose and funnel, but on the end of the hose install a cheapie 90-degree fitting from the plumbing aisle of the big box home improvement store.

benefit of the pump.obet funnel would be overflow. You can control the pumps but the funnel you have to be able to stop it as it starts to spill it of the trans. The pump is an easy 1 man job as well.

benefit of the pump.obet funnel would be overflow. You can control the pumps but the funnel you have to be able to stop it as it starts to spill it of the trans. The pump is an easy 1 man job as well.
I have done the pump before and it works out pretty well. I have several cars with no access from above. (124, 850, Miata and the Element rear diffs.

The funnel I posted above has an on and off valve. Twist on - Twist off. It also has a cover that helps keep things clean.

The mystery of my "Shift Rod Seal Installation Tool" has been solved.

Every third Saturday of the month, my wife performs with a band. I was sitting there watching the show a few hours ago and one of the guitarists does a song using a slide on his guitar. I look at it and it appears to be identical to my installation tool. My brother was big time into guitars. I'm guessing that someone cleaning up the house after he passed saw the slide and figured it was a socket wrench so they threw it in his toolbox. When I opened the toolbox, my installation tool was waiting for me.

So, if you ever need to install a shift rod seal, just find a guitar slide and you should be all set.

I ended up getting the Hopkins 10704 FloTool Spill Saver Measu-Funnel recommended by Mike. One of the reasons I went that way instead of a pump is that the funnel portion has precise measurements on it and a valve at the bottom. I replaced the hose that came with it with a much longer one using tubing I had lying around. The IDs were about the same but the tubing I used had a much larger OD. This came in handy at the trans end of the tubing where it had to be forced in with no likelyhood of it falling out.

Funnel For Filling Transaxle.jpg

I hung the funnel from the engine cover and propped the cover up with some half inch drive extensions to offset the weight of a quart of MTL (turned out to be unnecessary).

I added 3.33 quarts as specified in the manual. I checked to see if the fluid level was up to the fill port and it was nowhere close. I still recall checking the factory fluid at about 10K and it was pretty much topped off to the fill port. Since then, I've always filled it that high and just assumed that it was 3.33 quarts. I decided to fill the trans up to the fill port and it took almost the entire gallon! The good news was that the new funnel fill system did not lose a drop of MTL.

I was thinking about how the transaxle fluid capacity could change. The only possibility that I could come up with is that the current Tripode boots consume more fluid volume (~10oz. each) than the originals. Either that or the manual has a typo which would not be unheard of.

Has anyone else run into this issue with a 4 speed?

I took the car out for a test drive today. The car had shifted fine in the past using the Castrol GTX 20W50 as transmission fluid. However, I was blown away at the difference the Redline MTL made. All the shifts are buttery smooth. The last stick shift car I had was an 89 Acura Integra GS. It had a great trans and shift linkage. I never expected to get the X to approach shifting like that car but in terms of smoothness it is now in the same ballpark. Of course, the MTL does not tighten the gate or shorten the stroke but it sure makes the shifting more effortless. I am very glad I made the switch.

I took the car out for a test drive today. The car had shifted fine in the past using the Castrol GTX 20W50 as transmission fluid. However, I was blown away at the difference the Redline MTL made. All the shifts are buttery smooth.

After all of these years of recommending MTL, and all of the people here relaying their experiences, and we still get this as a response.

After all of these years of recommending MTL, and all of the people here relaying their experiences, and we still get this as a response.
Well, this is my first transmission fluid change since I heard about MTL so I thought that I would give it a shot. I thought that my X shifted pretty well before the change to MTL but most of my manual transmission experience has been with 60s - 70s American cars that required some exercise to shift. The trans on my Audi Coupe was not a whole lot better. It wasn't until I bought an Acura that I got to see what a good shifter felt like.

Anyway Steve, you've done a great service trying to turn people on to MTL. Maybe more people will listen in the future. Now if I can only figure out why my 4 speed took almost a gallon versus the 3 1/3 quarts spec'd in the manual. I must have oversized Tripode boots.

Well, this is my first transmission fluid change since I heard about MTL so I thought that I would give it a shot. I thought that my X shifted pretty well before the change to MTL but most of my manual transmission experience has been with 60s - 70s American cars that required some exercise to shift. The trans on my Audi Coupe was not a whole lot better. It wasn't until I bought an Acura that I got to see what a good shifter felt like.

Anyway Steve, you've done a great service trying to turn people on to MTL. Maybe more people will listen in the future. Now if I can only figure out why my 4 speed took almost a gallon versus the 3 1/3 quarts spec'd in the manual. I must have oversized Tripode boots.
Thanks.

It always amazes me that there are people who will argue about using GL1, or whatever else they want to use and there just doesn't seem to be any thing I, or anybody else, can say to sway their opinion until they actually try it.

Thanks.

It always amazes me that there are people who will argue about using GL1, or whatever else they want to use and there just doesn't seem to be any thing I, or anybody else, can say to sway their opinion until they actually try it.
There are a bunch of folks who go by the ‘book’ regardless.

On FB someone had asked what oil to use in their 1970s Spider, I stated what I have used since the 1980s (Castrol in two different multigrades) and now Valvoline VR. There was a guy who’s read me the riot act, posted the manual recommendation from the time, asked if I would guarantee the oil wouldn’t damage this other guys engine blah blah blah. There was a discrepancy between the old spec at 15w40 and my 10w40 recommendation.

Part of why we keep having the MTL conversation is people just don’t change gearbox oil very often.

Also MTL is VERY hard to find this side of the pond. Which is why I didn't use it when I rebuilt my gearbox.

Reading this thread did get me thinking about it again and there is one supplier in Spain so maybe I will price it up after I have fixed the seal issue I have.

Back