Shifter Adjustment

ddoan

Star Shooter
Well, it's been a couple of weeks, and my little X is running beautifully. It's a fun ride once more.

I do have a question about shifting, though. When I reinstalled the engine, a year ago, I noticed that the the shifter rod - the rod that connects to the transmission - has a slotted hole. Which means there must be some kind of front to back adjustment that can be made before tightening down the 10 mm nuts and bolts. Here's a link to a photo of the linkage I am referring to:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tractorNstuff/1984BertoneX19MotorRebuild#5359623769062146834

My situation is this: often, when I am stopped, it's a bit difficult to smoothly shift into first from neutral. I usually end up shifting into 2nd, moving forward a little, and then, find first. This generally happens at stop lights, when I shift into neutral and wait out a light.

Does the shifter rod to transmission connection have anything to do with this? Can I loosen the connecting bolt, slide the shifter rod forward or backward, then retighten at a better position? Will this improve shifting? Or, is there another adjustment that I am missing?

Thanks.

Don

Redline?

Tell me about Redline, Chris. Right now the tranny has 80/90 gear oil in it.

Thanks,

Don

Adjustment

You want to loosen the bolt at the "lollipop", find neutral on the transaxle end of the linkage, ensure the shifter is vertical, then retighten. Test drive and see if that helps. If not, you can try a little one way or the other but it may be internal to the case then.

find neutral on the transaxle end of the linkage

If the car is in neutral when I jack it up, can I assume that it is in the proper position at the transaxle - and will stay there? Or, is there a better way to find neutral after the bolt at the lollipop is loose?

Yes and no

Yes it will stay there. No, there probably isn't a better way to find neutral. But jiggle it around a little just to be sure.

And please be safe, use wheel chocks and proper jackstands on a hard level surface.

Also check the bolt/shouldered washer/spring washer attachment at the trans end of that linkage - if it's loose at all, it will be hard to shift, ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Picture1-2.png

Back