catterar

Bob Cattera
How do you get the boot over the lip of the shifter input shaft seal? I bought a new boot from MWB, worked it over the end of the shifter input shaft, but have not been able to work it over the lip of the seal. I have been fighting it for about 6 hours off and on. I tried lubricating the seal lip with WD-40, tried using two screwdrivers to pry the boot over the seal, tried using a pair of needle nose pliers and a screwdriver, tried warming the boot with a heat gun on low heat, nothing has worked.
Should I remove the boot and seal from the shaft, put the boot on the seal then reinstall them as a unit? I'm at a loss.
Thanks for any advice.

Boot:

Seal:
Seal.jpg

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I've been thinking of taking it to a shop where they can get it up on a lift instead of being under it on jack stands with a creeper. Might be worth whatever they charge me just to relieve the frustration.

I use spray silicone lubricant on tight rubber parts like that. The silicone won't hurt the rubber. I have a pair of 90 degree needle nose pliers I used. Something like this.

64087_I.jpg

Then you can grab inside the boot and pull it down. Once you get one side over the seal hopefully you can keep it in place and work it around the edge of the lip to get it seated. If you don't like this don't try rebooting a steering rack. It's way worse.
If you tear your boot I bought extras from Europe while MWB was out. Send me a message and I'll get one your way.

Not saying this will work, but for poly bushings, I soak the bushing in boiling water for several minutes. For poly, this usually makes it pliable enough to squeeze into it's spot. That and a little soapy water as a lubricant.

I too used lube and a pair of 90 degree needle nose pliers like Kendall mentioned above. Still took me repeated tries for almost 2 hours!
It's a F#*$ing Pain in the Ass!!! But the last attempt went on so easy it was like I had done it a hundred times before... because I had!

LOL I guess patience is the key. I ordered a pair of 90-degree needle nose pliers and will get under the car when they arrive.

Oh boy! What a PITA! I replaced the shifter seal and that went very well. I also ordered a new boot with the seal even though the old boot was fine. Why not replace with all new? After trying to install the new boot for over 2 hours, I slipped with the screwdriver and poked a hole in the new boot. I gave up and reinstalled the old boot and that wasn't easy,.... but easier. I was lucky that the old boot is in really good shape.

Back