Shock Absorbers

Bradders

Daily Driver
Just been removing the rear suspension from my '79 X and I've found they're both shot, the front ones are too I think.

So they need either replacing or repairing, does anyone know what the best way to do this is? Cheaper the better really, I'm not looking for a performance upgrade, just something that will work.

I'm in the UK so that may affect things.

Thanks for your help
James

Technically they are "struts"

but Summit Racing carries KYB units for not too much money. You re-use your existing springs so make sure those are good. The KYB units just replace the "damper" part of the strut.

Pete

I've ordered from Eurosport and have to say their service I great!

I like all the vendors actually and equally :)

Thanks for all the advice, I'll definitely look into those.

There aren't other vehicle shocks that fit the X are there? Or could be modified to fit?

Cheers
James

If KYB's aren't cheap enough for you... none of the other options will be either.

basically no. Your car has non dismountable type strut legs,i.e. the top of the strut tube doesn't have a nut that unscrews so the insert can be replaced. Inserts haven't been available for quite a while.

The KYB's are cheap, pretty crap ride IMO, but cheap...doesn't seem like they are too cheap from Eurosport though at 420GBP for the four...look on ebay and you'll find them in Europe a lot cheaper than that...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KYB-4-STR...3003-233004-/310276443475?hash=item483deacd53 ...at 177.77gbp plus another 94.61 for freight from the USA ...272.38gbp for all four landed at your door under 70GBP a strut....

or summit racing has them for $69.12USD per strut...http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/kyb-233003/overview/year/1982/make/fiat/model/x-1-9

SteveC

Last edited:
So Steve... what struts do you recommend?

I have found my KYB's to work fine for the street. I had rebuildable struts and at one time used Gabriel inserts until that source dried up. I tossed them before I knew of this site.

So... KYB's were my ONLY choice and I did notice the ride to be not as firm. Cutting just the front springs an inch really helped IMLE... But if there is something else out there short of coil-overs or coil-over conversions, I haven't seen it. Please give us a link.

Thanks...

Bradders,

There are people who have done the VW "rabbit" (I think that's a golf in the rest of the world?) insert conversion... but that involves either having a dismountable strut tube,or cutting and shutting the non dismountable type tube...search "rabbit inserts" on this site and you'll find plenty of info...that is apparently an economy version conversion.

Tony, the only cars I've driven with KYB's rode and handled like crap compared to cars fitted with OE struts...I would never have them on my cars.

My X19's have always run on factory OEM way-assuto struts, or Koni's adjustables, I even have a NOS set of Koni's sitting on the shelf waiting if my car ever needs replacements! The race car I'm building uses Koni 2610 inserts.

I believe the Monte / scorpion uses similar struts to the X19, and Koni 2641-1145 adjustable inserts for some toyota / holden fit...but haven't tried that one myself yet.

My Punto rides on Koni's, My 128 rides on Koni's, My 124CS (will) ride on Koni's... they cost more, but they work the best... bar none.

I don't buy cheap tyres, I buy tyres that GRIP... obviously there's a difference to how we drive our respective cars.

SteveC

Be aware that stuff from the US to UK is subject to import duty, then VAT on top of that, something like another £90 on top of the purchase and shipping cost!

Have you considered AVO GTZ coilovers? They are £700 + VAT for a set, you get adjustable dampers with springs of your choice.

GAZ do similar coilovers and are well thought of.

strut inserts

if you send them as a "gift" they will waive most charges and won't sit at customs as long
mikemo

Thanks for your input and...

I always respect what you have to say.

My OEM struts were basically shot at around 60K when I replaced them with the Gabriel's. We had no other resources at the time and these felt and handled great. Then again, I only had the worn struts to compare them to.

When it came time again I had no OEM's or Gabriel's and the only known direct replacement were KYB's. I felt that the KYB's were not as FIRM as the Gabriel inserts (over tar strips and the like) but noticed no difference in performance.

I'm not racing but do drive in a spirited manner... and these just work well for me and my budget. I see all sorts of mod's these days including the Plaia Design that Chris Obert was selling for something like $2500 a set. Ya gotta be a serious competitor IMLE to put that much into a suspension on one of these cars.

Great discussion once again... and its great to have choices these days.

I have the KYB's on mine.

Looking forward to getting the hybrid coil overs I made - with Bilstein inserts - on, but I must say I never felt the KYB's to be poor handling, even on the little autocross track I did.

Shelling out over 2K for struts on the X doesn't make any sense to me...

Back