jovani

True Classic
About a year ago I installed Ford Focus mounts on my 81 X1/9 and just for fun, not that it makes much difference, I added thrust roller bearings on the front ones. For the skeptics happy to report that all four corners are in perfect shape, work as expected and vs the original mounts I don't see a reason of potential failure. And even if this happens, new ones are and will be widely available. You should dig old threads for details.
20180822_214048.jpg
20180824_185057.jpg
20180913_184233.jpg
20180824_185218.jpg

Very good. I believe Hussein just added some to the rear of his X.

This is a great mod and will allow these cars to go on for a long time. It’s funny when you think about reasons for a car to no longer be drivable. Modern cars will be junked when the last usable computers for that model are sold through.

Nice job coming up with the idea and great execution.

Attachments

• 20180824_185218.jpg
    20180824_185218.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 112
Thanks for the update. That's good news.

Here is the earlier thread where you outlined the mod:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/shock-mounts-replacement.35240/

When you added the steering bearings, are they placed here (red arrow)? .....
View attachment 22510

And depending on their diameter, which surface do they ride on - blue arrow or red arrow? .....
View attachment 22512
Don't remember exactly, Jeff, as I said it doesn't make noticeable difference, but I remember I had to replace the fiber centering bushing with specially machined one with specific OD and height (see attached photo). Made it out of hard alu, but bronze is better. Bearing runs on original thrust large steel washer on one side, on the other I used one of the two provided washers. Something like that. Oh, and a Oring around the washer/bearing assy to keep the grease in.
20180913_184233.jpg
20180915_152406.jpg

Reviving the thread to offer more thought on the subject.

The concept being discussed is to replace the stock Fiat top strut mounts with a more robust design from some other vehicle. In the example above they are from a early Ford Focus front suspension. The overall size of the Focus mounts is close to the Fiat ones. But there are two aspects of their design I don't care fore. One is the way most of it is located below the actual mounting surface on the chassis (strut tower tops). This lowers the strut relative to the body, raising the ride height of the car. To counteract that you would need to shorten the spring length (or otherwise lower the car), which reduces suspension travel. The other aspect I don't care for is the deep cup on the bottom on these mounts. A custom "filler" piece must be machined to allow the X's strut to rest solidly under the mount.

Here is my point in pictures:
The mount hangs down low...
20180824_185218.jpg

This effectively raises the body by the distance between the lines.

The area where the arrow points to...
20180819_115907 - Copy.jpg

must be filled with something like this...
20180822_214048.jpg

Ideally another top mount - from another vehicle - could be sourced with a shape / design that better fits the X's struts. I came across some pics of one that will help illustrate what I mean:

The bottom view shows how this mount is almost flat with the tops of the towers...
download (1).jpg

That will locate the top of the strut up higher, helping to lower the car's ride height without losing suspension travel. You will also notice is has a nice robust bearing built into it. This would serve the same function as the custom steering bearing from Mark Plaia.

Top view shows how it extends up toward the raised area on the top of the X's strut tower...
download.jpg

They even have a nice dust "boot" cap for it...
2110-2902820-Sport-2.jpg

I do not have any dimensions for this particular part, so no idea how well it would fit on the X. The overall size might be too large, the raised portion may be too big, the shaft diameter might not be correct, etc. But you can see how a design like this would be a better fit as a substitute top mount.

My intent here is to open up more thoughts for another option to do what was previously accomplished with the Ford mount, only do it more effectively.

There is very little room up top for a mount of that style - you would have to chop off the raised reinforcement of the strut tower

PXL-20201017-225421533.jpg

There is very little room up top for a mount of that style - you would have to chop off the raised reinforcement of the strut tower

PXL-20201017-225421533.jpg
Obviously that will depend on the dimensions of the raised area on the mount. If it is small enough then it could fit within the raised portion of the tower without any mods. But I agree that is a rather small area so it will be difficult to find a mount that will fit in there. However that is the whole point, seeing if such a mount exists. There are literally countless variations out there. ;)

Back