Shoulder belts for 76?

carl

True Classic
Any way to install the later (or any other) seatbelt/shoulder belt device on a 76 X? Kind of creepy driving with just seatbelts. Anyone who suggests harness belts goes to the back of the line.

Carl in Virginia

Feel the pilar for possible mount points

Any way to install the later (or any other) seatbelt/shoulder belt device on a 76 X? Kind of creepy driving with just seatbelts. Anyone who suggests harness belts goes to the back of the line.

Carl in Virginia

I am not sure what year they started appearing, but I know some 78s have the top shoulder mount point in place, yet hidden behind the trim material.

The 76 I had...

that I got from Warren had lap belts on the passenger side and a 4 point harness on the drivers side. I had salvaged the passenger shoulder belt from my wrecked 78 (both my 77's had shoulder belts), and I found under the trim was a hole that would fit the upper mount for the seat belt, but it looks like it was moved to a different location for later years. The 78 belt just did not sit right in the 76.

Position of shoulder belts for the 4 point

I am investigating adding racing belts to my X (for track days only). How were the 4 point shoulder belts mounted in your car? It looks like I will need reinforcement for whatever I do.

Paul Davock

ooooo..gonna make me think here....

maybe Warren will chime in if he is lurking, but I believe the lap belt points were used, and then a custom point was made on the firewall between the gastank and cockpit. Where you can see a little behind the firewall from the spare tire compartment, I believe there was a metal reinforcement plate added and the shoulder points were there....might be wrong though. I am investigating a new way of getting 4 points installed and not having much luck....

Belts on a '78

I don't know if this helps or not, as mine is a '78. There were little plugs by the back window defroster that I took out, which are there for the shoulder belt. Removing those plugs reveals the place where original size (I used a 17mm socket on the bolt) bolt for the lap belt will fit. But I went a different route, a route some may not want to go, I guess. I went to the junk yard to find belts. It took some time, but I wanted to use the fastener for the lap belt as it says "Fiat" on it. Finding regular "black" colored belts is very hard, but grey ones are a dime a dozen and the ones I got were tan. These are off a Mazda of some sort, and I made sure they worked and were in good condition. Even used the bolts from the Mazda, as they fit perfect. I'm sure using belts from a junkyard isn't for everyone, so just showing an option.
006ok.jpg

004ibc.jpg

Gerald

Thanks

I have some X shoulder belts in my recently decommissioned 128 SL so they should bolt in as per your photo.

Back