Show us your "real" Garage space....

Sorry, Andrew. I meant lounge chair. Autocorrect making me appear low functioning again on this one.
i see it now. So that was the ONLY thing of the wife's in the garage... It has since moved to the basement. Also I don't have to share this with any kids either. PLUS we can sleep in until noon on the weekend if we want!

By the way Andrew, your rating just jumped like crazy in my books for even having a planishing hammer in your garage, wife's lounger or not! Now if you can show me an English wheel hiding under her favorite beach towel that you used to clean motor oil off the floor then you're going to be my new hero!
I did use the planishing hammer to create my manifold shield. It smoothed it out nicely. I am satisfied with if as my first real sheet metal project with complex contours.

Next I plan to use it to create some space age lamps for the MCM basement. Brass should be a lot easier to shape than stainless steel

I was going to say something stupid like my sister has four English wheels...under her MGB, but I'm not going to say that.
Being in fear of your wife, is a good way to approach marriage.

Here is mine in construction.
The roof was almost flat so we are pushing the back up 1200mm and extending the roof to 2m out past the doors.
Tin goes on tomorrow and then it's ready for the air con to be installed.

Attachments

• IMG20200604153355.jpg
    IMG20200604153355.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG20200605142632.jpg
    IMG20200605142632.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
The only wife thing in my (note, I didn't say our) garage is her Kia and it gets moved to the driveway when I work in MY garage...yes dear, I'll warm up your car for you.

The only things in the garage that have anything to do with the wife are a couple coolers & a few wicker baskets stashed in the upper recesses somewhere... the only vehicle that gets to go inside is the X1/9 :D

You left out the part where you asked your wife if you could keep the car in the garage and she said "of course, honey".

My garage is in the middle of a major reorganization at the moment, Trying to cut down on the amount of stuff that is stored in there so I have more room to work on something. Here is a look as it is now. There is stuff piled everywhere as I try to find a home for all of it.

IMG_20200605_082403214.jpg
IMG_20200605_082415256.jpg
IMG_20200605_082430971.jpg
IMG_20200605_082446056.jpg
IMG_20200605_082637057.jpg
IMG_20200605_082715030.jpg
IMG_20200605_082745664.jpg
IMG_20200605_082800091.jpg
IMG_20200605_082813989.jpg

IMG_20200605_084104670.jpg

Finally enough room to work on something. altho not enough for a fiat yet.
IMG_20200605_084508079.jpg

Someone sure has a tool addiction.

My garage is in the middle of a major reorganization at the moment, Trying to cut down on the amount of stuff that is stored in there so I have more room to work on something. Here is a look as it is now. There is stuff piled everywhere as I try to find a home for all of it.

View attachment 33013View attachment 33003View attachment 33004View attachment 33005View attachment 33006View attachment 33007View attachment 33008View attachment 33009View attachment 33010
View attachment 33011
View attachment 33012

View attachment 33013View attachment 33003View attachment 33004View attachment 33005View attachment 33006View attachment 33007View attachment 33008View attachment 33009View attachment 33010
View attachment 33011
View attachment 33012
Wish I had this problem. Love the all the proper shop tools!

My attached 2 car garage after dusk.....will post a better daylight picture soon😃

Attachments

• received_1228557677301880.jpeg
    received_1228557677301880.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 77

View attachment 33011
View attachment 33012

Dang - that's nice! Looks like you still have a bunch of wall space to put small shelves up & move much of the sundry items off the surfaces. That's a problem I always end up with - leaving too much out & about on work surfaces. A blasting cabinet would be a nice addition for me - I'd really like a decent lathe, but that I absolutely have no space for such a thing, nor the scope-creep that wold accompany it :D

Dang - that's nice! Looks like you still have a bunch of wall space to put small shelves up & move much of the sundry items off the surfaces. That's a problem I always end up with - leaving too much out & about on work surfaces. A blasting cabinet would be a nice addition for me - I'd really like a decent lathe, but that I absolutely have no space for such a thing, nor the scope-creep that wold accompany it :D
My scope creep all started when the small lathe was given to me, opened a whole new area to play in, then I figured out how limited I was without a mill and then the little CNC mill showed up, then I was trying to do stuff that was to big for them and the big lathe and mill became available from a friend of my brothers and and and....

Here is a look as it is now.
While I have the tool envy, I think I'd need a bigger commercial shop for all that gear! Nice tho.

BTW, your uncomfortably close proximity to Portland OR is apparent in this photo with the random split log:
IMG_20200605_082637057.jpg

:p

(sorry in advance Portland folks)

While I have the tool envy, I think I'd need a bigger commercial shop for all that gear! Nice tho.

BTW, your uncomfortably close proximity to Portland OR is apparent in this photo with the random split log:
View attachment 33106

:p

(sorry in advance Portland folks)
LOL, That's actually another project... it's firewood but it shows signs of some curly grain I want to run it through the jointer and see what it looks like. That piece is from my dad's place and I have a maple that fell this winter that looks like it might have some curly grain in it as well so it might go to the sawmill instead of the firewood pile.

Unfortunately a commercial shop comes with overhead and turns a hobby into a job...

Unfortunately a commercial shop comes with overhead and turns a hobby into a job...

That's akin to all the well-meaning folks growing up who kept telling me I should work as a mechanic / technician, etc., since I seemed to both enjoy and have a knack for it. When I did work in the auto field, it was in Parts division, precisely because fixing/modding cars was always satisfying, and I DIDN'T want to do it for a living and have it become a chore :D

I shared some commercial shop space about 10 minutes away from my house for about 5 years with a couple of buddies. We were going to get rid of it, but I ended up finding another person to go in on it with me so I still have it. About 29' wide and 65' deep.

I'm *trying* to get into a position though where I can build a shop space at my house and move out of the commercial space. Construction costs are absolutely insane these days.

IMG_2010.JPG
image0.jpeg

Last edited:
I'll play. My garage (after years of a 2 car carport & adjacent mad scientist 10x14ish workshop) project has been documented over at Mirafiori. I'm still feeling through a practical setup that keeps most of the spares on hand, has storage for the cars themselves and is a comfortable & efficient workspace.

I tried to go over to Mirafiori to have a look, but it seems my password no longer works and password recovery is not working either. I thought maybe my account was purged, so I tried to re-register, but it says my account name is already taken. So not sure what's up. If anyone knows the admin over there, I'd appreciate if someone could shoot him a note about password recovery for account name bjwhite.

Anyway, fiataccompli. I'd love to go review your documented project. In the meantime, what size is your shop space? And how high are the ceilings?

Hi, Actually I have at least some admin duties at Mira, so I'll see if I can help. Oh, maybe send me a PM with your info so I can look you up.

A few years ago it got a full update and in the process lots of accounts were reset I believe. It's worth getting in though, lots of good info.

I think I'm at 1450sf in the shop with a bit of a jog in the size to give the aesthetic impression of being smaller. Ceiling height is 12' but since you lose a bit once you have drywall, I had the carpenters "cheat" a bit with an extra course of 2x's before the roof trusses went on. This "cheat" probably was the difference between my lift fitting & not fitting.

Back