Side vents/ducts, and now Snorkels!

Although this is not my goal, these artist renderings of the X (below) have interesting bodywork. Take a look at the yellow-circled duct on the rear fender of the black car behind (a bit difficult to see through the windshield):
262b3794da4f370f84564aaa2517e4ee.png

Reminds me of the Porsche 935 race body work:
1200px-Porsche_Coupe_935_(1976)_pic2.JPG

Easy peasy. Cut off raised lip area of stock vent and surrounding sheet metal, extend outwards, and add Dallara panels to blend.

C907C5DC-D549-47DA-849E-A0D897C3989B_zpsgc0ivzmr.jpg

8F422848-E27D-4E4F-98E0-92EAF29D07F9_zpsj1zrosqf.jpg

Huss, I know the Dallara's ducts stick out further to the sides, but are they also taller (top to bottom) than the stock ducts? I'm comparing them against the body recess lines; it might be the angle of the photo but they look to go to the outer edges of those body lines vs. the stock ducks being on the inner edges?

Huss, I know the Dallara's ducts stick out further to the sides, but are they also taller (top to bottom) than the stock ducts? I'm comparing them against the body recess lines; it might be the angle of the photo but they look to go to the outer edges of those body lines vs. the stock ducks being on the inner edges?

Pretty much follow the stock lines - slightly deeper overall, but barely

369CAA22-33D3-48CC-8A21-B96314B0331D_zpsu5qdcwwp.jpg

A22ECDFF-FEC5-4F00-B3BE-840E00D11238_zps8eaoukdm.jpg

Would look very odd without the deeper quarter, and the wider rear track, though.

Here's one from the forum members car photos....

Attachments

• sidescoops.pdf
    152.1 KB · Views: 174
Has anyone removed all the vanes in the side ducts so it is just a large rectangular opening? Looks like it would be a pain to do. Also as noted, body colored side duct would be mildly custom but other than black Xs I have no idea how this would look. Maybe this is why black Xs look so stunning, the color hides a lot of the tacked on plastic trim and even helps to hide the later large bumpers.

Daniel, that is a HUGE intake! I guess it would be functional on a race car like that one.

Also as noted, body colored side duct would be mildly custom but other than black Xs I have no idea how this would look.
There is an example of a white X with color coded stock ducts above...I'll show it again:
TAS2016-03.jpg

I don't know, it almost makes the smallish stock item seem even smaller...kind of gets lost in the side panel. But on a larger custom duct it could work (ignore the blue circle...different topic):
228890.jpg

How about this scoop style, in place of the stock item. Sized/positioned so the top and bottom of the scoop are at the 'apex' of the side body recess lines (i.e. just to the outer edges), and reaching from the door's rear edge to the rear wheel arch, but pretty much proportioned as it is here:

Lamborghini-Miura-Concept_2-2ze8ieekwz30l2wlbglcsq - Copy.jpg

To get a perspective of the size and location, reference the red 'stick figure' outline I did on the stock green X on page 1 of this thread. Then squint really hard and imagine heavily.

For discussion:
I like the creased origami style added duct here. It fits well with the X's design.
Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 6.33.39 AM.png

This one has that massive duct along with the old one incorporated into it's lower area. Perhaps utilizing the original duct in this way (angling it outward) could be interesting?
Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 6.38.26 AM.png

Nice examples. In your post on the other (related) thread about nose design, I saw the top picture (above) and liked how the front spoiler was done. But failed to even notice the additional side scoop until you pointed it out here. Then I got to looking closer at the car and realized it has many unique custom features (see my re-post of the pic with some highlights below).
Regarding the "creased origami style added duct", I'd like to see how that could work positioned in place of the stock duct.

Regarding the second pic, I've noticed a couple Dallara kits where the stock duct was reused by "angling it outward" as you suggest (integrated into the widened fender). Looked good but slightly undersized for the large area created by the Dallara's big fenders.

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 6.33.39 AM.png

I'm sure there are even more custom touches I haven't highlighted.

there isn't a lot of body behind the door to work with. even the abarth scoops are gaudy. you might start at the rear of the frond fender and widen along the doors to the size that you want the scoop keeping the angular Bertone lines. tall and slim. jes sayen...
mikemo

oh yea... the rear air vents on most of the other cars were not for venting the engine compartment, but brake cooling. I have spent years trying to make them functional for that purpose to no avail. the front are a bi##h
mikemo

Nice examples. In your post on the other (related) thread about nose design, I saw the top picture (above) and liked how the front spoiler was done. But failed to even notice the additional side scoop until you pointed it out here. Then I got to looking closer at the car and realized it has many unique custom features (see my re-post of the pic with some highlights below).
Regarding the "creased origami style added duct", I'd like to see how that could work positioned in place of the stock duct.

Regarding the second pic, I've noticed a couple Dallara kits where the stock duct was reused by "angling it outward" as you suggest (integrated into the widened fender). Looked good but slightly undersized for the large area created by the Dallara's big fenders.

I'm sure there are even more custom touches I haven't highlighted.

That is cool. Love the front lip sectioning & the glass covered lights, reminds me of my Citroen DS Safari :) Can't what that rear duct is doing though, it's too far back to connect with the engine bay, unless there is addtional work feeding air forwards again. Like Mike said, very little room to work with back there. Anything rearward of the existing vent isn't goign to be very effective without major rework on the inside. I'd love to see more pics of that car, to see how they resolved that.

my first X had double stock scoops on each side. the PO did this, but didn't modify the inner structure to make them functional. if I had done this I would have made more effort to line them up. sorry about the low res picture - all my pics from that era are on film:

fiat2.jpg

I have been thinking about adding a scoop on the side, that follows the body contours, kind of like this:

LOTUS-EUROPA.jpg

but I would do it in the sail panel area behind the window. I tried to do a photoshop of what it might look like:

fiats4.jpg

Jim

Jim, pretty wild idea having two stock ducts per side. Although it may not be exactly the way I'd do it either, at least it does reinforce the thought there should be something more than how it came from the factory (I know, blasphemy).

I'd like to see a Photoshop sample of how you would do the large side panel scoop (like on the Lotus).

Your last idea of the scoop on the roof pillar crossed my mind when I first posted this picture of the Miura:
Monterey 2012 025.JPG

Monterey 2012 026.JPG

Really nice lookig red X1/9!:)

I like the idea on the green car but it would required a lot of work.

The snorkel solution is also to be considered.

The snorkel solution is also to be considered.
Stay tuned, it will be featured in an upcoming episode of the "custom X-1/9" series. Along with grills (plural), rear panel/tail treatments, removable top options, engine cover ideas, illumination, and more. All things exterior will be covered (eventually), however not the interior...that will be left for someone else. All this talk of molesting the original design, as if the devil himself owned a X-1/9, right? Or perhaps it should be called, "XXX-1/9"?

Along the theme of a large side intake opening, here is a concept re-design of a classic Italian supercar:

MANGUSTA 2011 28.jpg

MANGUSTA 2011 23.jpg

MANGUSTA 2011 33.jpg

Back