Side vents - sheen on the Bertone logo?

kareembadr

Low Mileage
The X 1/9 I have on the way seems to have the silver worn off the Bertone logos on the side vents, probably from age. I was thinking about trying to revive them with a little silver paint and a steady hand. Can anyone who has the side vents in tact tell me the sheen on the Bertone logo? Is it as shiny as chrome, or is it a more of a brushed finish? Does anyone who's done this kind of plastic detailing touch-up have a particular paint they recommend?

(this part, for reference)

Last edited:
I think Karl is correct that a silver marker would work. Model paint could work as well.

I went out and took pictures of the vent on my 78 and 85 Xs. Both are different from each other, and different from the vent you linked. I wonder exactly how many variations exist?

The 78 vent seems to be all plastic. Unrestored
20240417_180821.jpg
The 85 is plastic and metal. The silver part appears to be a brushed aluminum plate
20240417_180852.jpg

I repainted my vents with black trim paint when I had the car painted. I masked the plate area and sprayed the plastic part. When it was dry, I cleaned up the aluminum plate and filled the Bertone script with a black paint stick (just an example, you wont need 12) :)

Last edited:
Look for a marker with 'paint' (not ink) inside. The 'ink' in standard markers doesn't last long And paint covers better.

Dirty from storage, but Yeah, my 86 (dirty in storage) has brushed aluminum over plastic.

Attachments

• 20240419_114934.JPG
    20240419_114934.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 12
This is what’s on my car now (yellow ‘77), but I also have the blackout pair. It looks to me like they’ve never been painted at all. Can’t decide if the low-key black will loom nice(r) or not…

Attachments

• IMG_1916.jpeg
    IMG_1916.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1915.jpeg
    IMG_1915.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 21
This is what’s on my car now (yellow ‘77), but I also have the blackout pair. It looks to me like they’ve never been painted at all.
Ah, I was wondering if there were some that hadn’t been painted. I hadn’t been able to find any reference photos where it looked like they were intentionally left all-black. I do prefer the look of the silver logo, though.

This is what’s on my car now (yellow ‘77), but I also have the blackout pair. It looks to me like they’ve never been painted at all. Can’t decide if the low-key black will loom nice(r) or not…
Every set I have seen have no silver of any kind on them. That said, I like them with the B and bertone highlighted in silver marker.

Silver Sharpie or a paint marker would do the job. I suspect a paint marker may stand up better to life on the street.

Back