Silly Question, please answer

sbd2b

Low Mileage
Sounds silly, I know, but how are the seats removed from an 82 x 1/9? I cannot find bolts in, outside, nowhere!

It slides all the way forward.

Then it comes off the rails.

Hope this helps. If you car has not been messed with, there may be a big ol' spring under it which you will need to remove.

Eric

Thanks Eric

I did see a spring under the seat. This is my first experience with Fiats. I appreciate the help.

As Eric said...

Getting at that spring can be a bitch. I usually try to cut them off at the ends with a pair of dikes... and then never reinstall them or replace them. They never had enough tension to pull the seat foward anyway, and JAM the track when ya try and take them off.

Secondly... you will find the seat PRESSES agains the center console when it is all the way forward and makes it difficult to get all the way off... and MORE difficult to reinstall.

One thing that helps with reinstalling is to take a small crescent wrench and spread the FEMALE portion of the track apart on the seat bottom a bit... giving it a somewhat "funnel-effect" to get the MALE portion to engage easier. Secondly, you'll need to PRESS the seat against the console a bit to fit the tracks, thirdly, use enough light (lay it on the floor behind the seat) so you can see... I use one of those long, cool lights... and lastly, be sure to have cleaned both tracks well and then re-lube with a light grease.

After you do this about twice a year for 26 years... it gets a bit easier...

Welcome aboard... and please post a foto of your new ride!

Thanks Black-Tooth

i appreciate all the great tips and tricks. I'm sure I will be at this site quite a bit. A great resource for Fiats. I will get some pictures of it when I got it and progress along the way. I bought it as a non-runner and towed it home for a project. It is a work in progress but so far is running and just this week has received a new paint job and now I am tackling the interior. Which brought me to this site as I have never seen such a setup for seats before. I will get back at in tomorrow though. Again, thanks for the advice.

Getting at that spring can be a bitch... and then never reinstall them or replace them. They never had enough tension to pull the seat foward anyway.

I gotta disagree. My brown 1977 (that is for sale!) has the seat springs. It's so cool to just pull up on the lever and the seat slides forward all by itself.
I assume Bob Brown's car does it also, if it doesn't I would be dissapointed.

Yep, it does

I haven't found it too hard to get my hand in there to release the spring.
I've had the seats out a couple times.

For sure!

Tony Natoli + Moxie (the original sugar version) = a charmed Papa Tony. :wink2:

... running at a COOL 185...

... all the time!

HA

Whatr are you doing up this late... BIG LOBSTA DAY tomorrow!

Bob, you must surely...........!!

bbrown;34611[I said:
....I haven't found it too hard to get my hand in there to release the spring.....

.......have hands the size of a baby's !!!!!

I'm definitely with ol' TonyN on this one - after futzing about for ages with a piece of hooked wire trying to UNHOOK that stupid spring under the seat base (there was no way my MAN's hand could get under the seat), those springs went into the wheelie bin, never to be seen again!!
Hey Chris O. - just a light smear of moly grease on the seat rails (upper and lower) and my seats slide back and forth beautifully also!! :)
Those crazy seat springs are another of "Mussolini's revenge on the automotive world"!!

cheers, Ian - NZ

Ahh, I forget to mention

I use a hand tool to grabs the spring.
Also yes, my hands aren't big in comparison to the average but it doesn't
affect my masculinity! Ha!

Next... we'll be comparing shoe sizes...

I'm a size 12... but I hate to admit that the rumors are not necessarily true...

Hey! I wear size 13 shoes, and have been told by more...

....than a few, that i have LONG.............................toes.:(

Back