Single DCNF manifolds and NOS 36 DCNVA carbs

36 and performance

I'm in the process of switching to a single 34 Euro with a ported manifold after running twin 40's for years.

I got tired of the low rpm blubbering. It has a race cam on it so with the 40's not much happened below 4 grand, hence the switch.

I always had in the back of my mind that a single 36 might be the perfect solution. What is a single 36 like?

My car is bored .02 over with slightly higher compression pistons and a header so I'm hoping to recover some low rpm grunt and no blubbering.

From the reports I've had, and the one car I got to drive with one of the modified manifolds I've sold, they go very well, even with the 36DCNVA carby straight out of the box, no jetting changes, on a basically stock engine.

I've fitted single 40 setups to a few warmed over engines, and the results were excellent, totally devoid of the "low rpm blubbering" you speak of... obviously the air speed thru two venturis is quite a bit higher than it would be thru four...so the fuel is atomising well even at lower rpm's.

Quite a lot better than a single 34DMTR/DATRA setup too, as the carb is far more tuneable for different engines and capacities with removeable chokes, a range of aux venturis and far more jetting sizes available...

Honestly, a single 40 is good for around 90% of the best you'll get with twin 40's...with a lot less setup and tuning costs, and almost as good a sound.

I'm not sure who ended up with the single DCNF manifold I sold Chris Saul, he fitted a single 40 to it (previous page with some pictures) and then decided to go for twin carbs and had the setup for sale... maybe the new owner can pipe up and give a seat of the pants opinion?

SteveC

I ran a 36 for a couple of years.

On my race car, 1500cc 67bore, 14:1 compression. It was a monster. Not much beat it.

After I sold my car, the new owner installed dual 40's on it, I could not tell the difference.

The only down side is probably going to be your Miles/Kilometers per gallon/liter.

Eric

Just an update for the several people who have expressed interest in this idea.

I'm waiting for a batch of 25 x new carbs to arrive from overseas, so there will be plenty of carbs soon...maybe a fortnight away.

And I need to take my stock 1300 euro cores to my friendly fabricator so he can make up another set of manifolds up for me, so they could be around a month away...and will be just like the pics on the first page/post ... I'll probably have enough core manifolds by then to have 6 made up.

Then I need to find a quantity of the other small parts, like the phenolic spacers/gaskets and studs/nuts, as the last batch (to test the waters) I made up from stock that I had... but I need plenty more to go with the 25 carbs.

So this lot will be slightly higher priced, as I've had to buy in some manifold cores, outlay for a large quantity of carbs, and will need to buy in the other small parts (at a yet to be determined cost) but I'm hoping to keep the entire setup at $525au... signed for priority postage to the USA is around $75au.... so I'm working on a "landed on your doorstep" price of $600au to the USA for a complete setup i.e. NOS carb, modified manifold (26.5mm ports) and new phenolic spacer / gaskets / studs / nuts / linkage parts

If people are interested I can put your name down at the top of the list for the first "production" setups, and email you when they are ready to go... in around a month / 6 weeks time.

The cast NEW manifolds I'm looking at having made will likely be up to 12 months away, as I need to send my sample away, get a quote, authorise the production of the moulds (which means having my sample -a genuine Alquati- sliced in two!!) and then waiting for the foundry to cast and machine them, then ship them to me from overseas...

The new manifold / 36DCNVA setup will likely be around 675au plus postage for the complete new carby and new manifold and new spacer/gaskets/studs/nut/linkage parts, so looking to be around the $750au figure landed on your doorstep in the USA.

Anyone who is keen just send me a PM or email.

SteveC

Back