slave clutch hose pipe nut stuck !

phil

True Classic
hi guys , I am replacing the slave clutch hose and i can not move the nut on the pipe can I use some heat to free it up or is the clutch dot 4 liquid dangerous ? ? ? (flame) :dead:

Phil

DSC00032.jpg

DSC00033.jpg

I use heat, but

Wear eye protection. Not so much danger with fire, but it'll likely blow the hose and spray a little. (so you'll need a new one)

My opinion only.

hi , I'll leave it over nite with wd40 and try again if not then use heat !

thanks guys
phil

The flare nut is knacker. Use a "vise grip" or similar locking pliers on the flare nut to hold it and loosen it while holding the hex on the clutch hose hex end.

Soak the joint in penetrating oil (not WD_40 or Water Displacement, 40th try as it is not really a penetrating oil) well and for a few hours before trying to remove this.

Heat is really a No No here as the possibility of damage is high and cooking the brake fluid and everything related to can turn into a serious problem.

Replace the flare nut once it's all apart. The clutch tube is 1/4" outside diameter and it will be a bubble flare on the end.

Pressure bleed the system once done. There are a number of posting on how to bleed the clutch if you run into problems.

BTW, the clutch adjuster shaft looks to be near the end of it's adjustment. Once the clutch system is working properly, might consider resetting the adjuster towards the center and see if this adjustment setting is acceptable.

Good luck,
Bernice

hi , I'll leave it over nite with wd40 and try again if not then use heat !

thanks guys
phil

Do as Bernice suggests...

Make sure the Vice Grip is on there FIRM... and place another wrench on the other fitting on the flex side also.

If it doesn't budge initially, try TIGHTENING it a bit, then loosen.

Any gawling (sp) marks on the flare nut can be filed or ground down easily so a regular flair wrench will work generally from now on.

I'd only try a torch as a last resort...

One more thing

The only thing that works better than visegrips is visegrips AND a flare wrench - position the flare wrench on the fitting, and then use the grips to force the open end of the flare wrench closed around the fitting. Do this and you won't mangle a good fitting, so won't have to mess with replacing it and reflaring the hard line. OTOH, from the picture it looks as if your fitting is already pretty well-rounded off.

Oh... and... listen to Bernice about not using heat.

I have used a pinpoint flame

without causing any damage to the hydraulic lines and also saving the nut/flair fitting.
What DID get damaged is the flex hose extension, which is the main reason for removing it.
Cutting the flex hose first removes any danger of the hose bursting under pressure.
Damage to the brake fluid is a non-issue because it's got to be flushed out anyway.

I haven't really heard a valid reason for NOT using heat (heat being a pinpoint flame) to free up the flair nut.
As always, care should be taken. I've done it using pinpoint flame several times with no negative result.
Re-flaring that end can be a real P.I.T.A., and getting the proper flair nut to fit the line can also be the same.

But, if the flair nut is toast, (which it will be using vice grips) maybe cutting the line to
get it all out in the open is your best option. You've got choices.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Do what you can to save the flare nut!

It is a PITA to replace, vice grips + flare wrench + liquid wrench + patience (walk away when you get pissed - i wish i did!!)
I demolished the front one and ended up replacing the whole line, Fedhill supplies great lines and flaring tool rental but they don't have the nuts for the clutch line, I had to get those used off Matt.

yes !!!!!! , got it undone ! , and did not use heat ! , I agree with most of you guys that heat is the very last resort !!!!!

thanks for your feedback guys gee this is the best site ever !!!:grouphug:

Phil

DSC00034.jpg

Congrats -

On doing it without heating the joint.
Looks like you could still use the flair nut too. :clap:

Congratulations, We knew you can do it!

Bob's method of using pin point head would work if done carefully and the tube joint not heated for too long. The heat can transfer to the painted bracket and other associated parts causing heat damage. A careful, steady and mindful wrench is required to prevent doing too much damage with heat while penetrating oil and properly applied leverage is more forgiving than heat.

Boiling brake fluid is not an issue as it will all get flushed.

A dab of anti-seize is a very good idea. Copaslip (copper based) or one of the moly based anti seize should work fine and the next time this is done, the individual removing this fitting will thank you.

Bernice

yes !!!!!! , got it undone ! , and did not use heat ! , I agree with most of you guys that heat is the very last resort !!!!!

thanks for your feedback guys gee this is the best site ever !!!

Phil

Back