SMOG Pump mount

RMW

Daily Driver
I live in California, so my smog pump has to stay on. The pump is a royal pain, blocking access to stuff. To remove the pump, the mount has to be removed, as the pivot bolt threads in to mount on the left side and there is no room to pull it out on the right. Has anyone removed the threads on left side and used a through bolt coming from the left side. This would make removal a much easier 2 bolt affair. Thinking of modifying mine. Thoughts?

I know exactly what you are referring to; the bolt is too long to completely remove before hitting the body at the strut tower. I can see where previous owners have attempted to remove it and ended up bending the bolt, denting and scratching the paint on the tower.
I think your plan to go from the other side with the bolt should work. I'd have to look at it closer again, but can a captive nut be added onto the (far right side) bracket? That would make things even easier when threading it in from the left. Also check to be sure the bolt will clear everything when coming out from the left side...it's a long bolt.
If you need another pump or any of the related brackets, etc let me know. Mine is not going back on!

Just for future reference, the aforementioned modification will not work. Bolt is too long to come out either direction .

I was afraid of that. Can it be done with two shorter bolts, one from each side? Possibly tap threads into the pump, on both sides of where the bolt goes, for larger diameter bolts. Then drill the holes in the mount for the larger bolts to fit through. I haven't looked to see if that would work but maybe consider something like it.

Back