So, what's your favorite gasket removal product?

Dave80GTSi

Original Owner 1978 X1/9 (now sold)
You know, something to remove that last stuck little bit that delaminates and stays behind.

Solvent?
Razor blade?
Fingernail?
Just ignore it and leave it behind?

This issue has always been a pain for me, and no doubt for all of you as well.

As a preventive measure tip, I always try to rub a thin coat of a common grease on both sides of any new gasket that I install, in an attempt to prevent the formation of a bond between the gasket and the mating surfaces on both sides. But frequently one still has to remove those annoying thin paper bits and pieces that are left behind after you tear off an old gasket.

I’ve noticed that there are products such as this on the market:
http://www.all-spec.com/products/806...FYvDKgodbS7Jiw

… which I have never used before. Certainly, the low cost and easy availability makes this worth a trial, but by any chance does anyone have any better ideas, or tricks to share?

Thanks and Cheers - DM

Elbow grease

That gasket remover stuff is for gaskets that are formed from sealant, not for paper or composite gaskets.

I usually end up using a razor blade and patience. It takes care and skill not to gouge the surfaces if they're soft like aluminum. Some parts I use flat file too. Just depends.

Spray that Permatex stuff as necessary if sealant had been used on the old gasket; but then a razor blade or scraper does the actual removal.

HA... as Gregory said...

'Elbow Grease' if I can't lift it to the bench grinder and use the wire wheel to blow it away...

And the 'Elbow Grease' I speak of sometimes includes wire wheels on portable drill motors as well as Dremel Tools...

I have used a razor blade and a cleaning solution such as a degreaser. It seems to work fine.

Scotch-Brite abrasive pads

are a method I hear a lot about, but I never tried them for that purpose myself. I usually just go after it with a razor blade.

Pete

Back