SOHC Yugo smog/emissions delete

skyline3116

Low Mileage
Hey guys,

Just a small introduction. My dad used to work for yugo back in the homeland, grew up in the town where they made them. Fast forward to now, we have a gvx, prototype yugo cabrio that was used at various car shows (NYC, Chicago) and we also have a normal production yugo cabrio.

The plan is to modify and beef up the engine on the production cabrio, and leave the prototype engine original.

I managed to purchase a 4-2-1 exhaust header a few years back, and want to remove all of the emissions/smog equipment, since the car is over 25 years old, NJ doesnt require inspection anymore.

I just wanted to know what components to remove, and if there was any components that need to be rerouted, capped off, or a blocking plate installed.

We have been slowly been bringing parts back from Serbia, including a fully ported and polished head, upgraded cam, manifold for twin dcnf carbs, adjustable cam gear, billet pulleys, short shifter, and electronic distributor.

We have been putting it off for a while but I think I want to pull the motor and start tearing into this thing.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you

bringing parts back from Serbia, including a fully ported and polished head, upgraded cam, manifold for twin dcnf carbs, adjustable cam gear, billet pulleys, short shifter, and electronic distributor
I want some of that :). Is there a particular source in Serbia for SOHC performance items?

Is the 4:2:1 exhaust a tube-type header or cast iron type? If cast iron, the Yugo version has a large AIR/EGR (can't remember which) fitting on one end and a cast port running from it across to all 4 exhaust ports. Kind of makes for extra work to plug all of it off when de-smogging.

I'll let more qualified Yugo experts here give better detailed answers for the rest.

I guess this is what the production version looks like:
1990-Yugo-Cabriolet-600x398.jpg

Please show us what the prototype is.

The prototype looks identical to the production model, except the shell was modified from a coupe to convertible in the factory, so my father had to add additional supports and bracing to ensure the body would not flex.

As far as the parts from serbia, we found a guy over there that builds racing engines for yugos and fiats and he built the head for us and sourced all of the parts for us.

The header is tube style, not cast iron. Basically extends all the way back to where the cat would have ended.

Here is the production yugo cabrio with under 1000 original miles

The seats and door cards were re done in leather, it has a rear sway bar, modified leaf in the rear and x1/9 springs up front

I source and rebuild rare 3 piece wheels in my spare time and built these bbs rm's for in 15x7 and 15x8 and have another set of BBS rs in the super
rare original 4x98 bolt pattern in 15x7/8 for the other car. Currently the prototype needs to be reassembled, as it was repainted.

Its funny because the prototype was painted a ford yellow by Yugo with a pearl in it, while the production yugo is a solid yellow. Its going to be weird when they are both done, cause they will be different yellows.

23826876188_4f189b8cf4_b.jpg

These are pictures of the Actual car in my dads garage. They were taken in 1990 for the yugo ads. There are subtle differences, like for example the headrests that have a hole in them, interior stitching with yellow stripe (that forms a Y), Silver mirrors, black grille and headlight housings, yellow bumper striping, and the gas cap being a star shape. We still have all of the parts. However, my dad spent years trying to source the cabrio parts that were missing because they botched the door seals, window seals, roof mechanism, and a ton of other stuff. A lot of it was hand made during the design process. Oh and when the roof is down, there is a cover for the roof to conceal it, on the prototype they hand made a rigid fiberglass cover that was upholstered in vinyl while the production car has a foam/vinyl cover that attaches with clips

37421906570_e1d81d2c19_b.jpg

37647402272_ee470e69f8_o.jpg

Wow, your production version is immaculate! Love the BBS wheels. Looking forward to seeing the prototype when it is finished. Very cool to have a hand made original prototype; should be a museum piece.

Is the Serbia shop "Sime Fiat Power"? Also there is Bojan of "Stoles Race Shop", but that's next to Serbia in Croatia I think?
Was the tube header from one of these? I'd be interested in getting one, maybe you can offer some additional info. Please send me a message through the profile page.

Thanks, Jeff

The tube header was sourced in the US. I actually found it on ebay like 4 or 5 years ago. It was from a fiat shop. I am not sure of the name.

I'll snap a photo tomorrow

There are two guys in the former Yugoslavian Republic component states (sorry, can't keep 'em straight without a program) producing what looks like nice racing stuff who REALLY could use someone in the USA who can market their products to English-speaking customers: SimeFIATPower and YugoRacing.

One of our members Yugoracing, out of Macadonia often offers for sale some really cool performance parts for both Yugo and Fiat. As far as smog delete, If you are removing the carb and manifold most of the emissions equipment is attached to these two items. All that recirculating hoses, etc, can be discarded. Also the airpump can be removed.

Not to play necromancer here, but I just picked up an 86 GV, and am planning to do a smog delete and new exhaust on it. I'm wondering if anyone knows a good PN for a new belt, I have an AC car. I have a new belt for the current configuration already.

Back