Some may like...others....

bb4re

86X 22,000 miles
...will hate what I am doing with my wheels. The day these arrived from the UK I had them professionally redone. They were pretty rough and am surprised they came out so smooth; the pic doesn't do them justice. Only took two days to get them back in my hands. The rims will have a thin painted body color pinstripe just inside the lips, before mounted....and if I don't like the end result after they are on the car, I can always have them refinished to their original glory.

I really think these will work great with UBX's dallara-style makeover. I am thinking 215/50-13s in the rear, but am still looking for advice on the fronts. With the fender flares, 185/60's are probably too narrow? Any thoughts on front tire size?

BEFORE
before.jpg

AFTER
comporedu.jpg

I am also going to have center cap decals made up to match the body color, in some manner.

They look good to me Thomas

I like them. They do look real shiny and should look great on the car. I seem to recall you were going with a fairly loud color for the body, so the black wheels will be a nice contrast.

I hesitate to mention the color I "think" I heard you mention in case I misheard, or you are trying to keep a lid on it til the grand unveiling. :)

Yeah...

....and it is also subject to change, depending on any particular moment. Still leaning toward what we discussed.

Hmmmmm...

I actually think I would prefer the wheels to be BROWN... goddammit!

Sorry Tom... I got all caught up with my age... Like I said before and I think another oldster agreed with me... dark colored wheels reminded us of junkers missing hubcaps back in the day. I absolutely HATE them on NASCAR rides.

Old George and his Dallara painted his in two or three colors to match the Orange, Blue, and White accents... and while my BIGGEST preference is to have some BODY COLOR carried over into the wheels, I think George when a bit toooo far in this case. HA!

I always loved the "billet" color of these wheels as they has the PURPOSEFUL race "feel" to them... ala Centerlines on dragsters. A Dallara Kit I believe SCREAMS race car and therefore I feel the race-look is fitting.

Of course... it appears the race-look as of late is BLACK.

Back to square one I guess...

Never mind...

I see what your saying...and...

...this wasn't my first choice. I let the guy who is doing the bodywork/fiberglass and paint decide on what to do with the wheels. He assures me that once the body color pinstripe is painted just inside the outter lips, and with the centercap color...it will look amazing. I told him I would give it a chance...but I can always get them re-done. I get a pretty reasonable price from the company we contract with for the wheel refinishing. Unfortunately...we probably won't know until winter.

I like 'em

But the car has to be chrome free and low for them to look right (in my mind anyway)

That's what's great about these cars, they are so easily customized. I love it!!

Looks nice Thomas!

I cant wait to see your X when you're finished...I'm still kinda partial to the brown though, reminds me of my first X. Keep us posted with pics please.

My friend likes that "black chrome" look and wants me to ask how much it was to have it done, it would probably cost him more for his fiero wheels though, lots of spaces that are hard to get to.

These are actually ...

...just very shiny gloss black, not chrome black. I get a great price thru our Midwest-Bayless account with the refinishing company. I am sure they do chrome black...hold a bunch of patents for weel chroming processes, but I am uncertain how much cost is involved.

I personally like black center with polished lip.
But this may look good on the right car.
Painting the pinstripe inside of the outer lip will make the wheel look smaller, painting the lip itself will make it look bigger. Not sure what is better.

What size and offset are they?

Very Good.

I like the dark look, either gloss or flat black. But I don't think body color trim is good. Lets see them when you mount them up.
Bob T.

The fronts are 13X6...

....offset says ET24, I believe

Rears are 13X8...Cannot read it well...but it looks like it is stamped ET +6. I cannot find many ther markings on them, other than Compomotive Racing.

I'm sorry

... I've never liked black wheels - I just can't see the appeal. In fact, I'm with Tony when he says it reminds him of wheels missing the hub caps !

Sorry ... but at least you can sleep easy - it's just my opinion and shouldn't affect anything you choose to do. They are nice wheels though (underneath the black paint :D )

I like black wheels, but

I am not sure I would have gone with gloss black. On a all black car I really like matte or satin black wheels with red calipers and a red stripe around the rim. I might like this combo because the shift boot I have is black with red stitching and the steering wheel I have is black with red stitching with a red Abarth horn button. Gloss black just does not look right. On my second X the PO had painted the wheels (original steel wheels) gloss black, but they had lost their glossyness in patches. I ended up sanding them down to a dull look and hand painting them with some high temp dark gunmetal black/gray with a lighter gray around the lip and the openings....of course I finished it up only to have my transmission go and too much needed done to it to justify keeping when I could get another X for 1/2 the price of the repairs needed for that one. If the wheels were not steel, I probably would have kept them. The gunmetal black and gray looked really cool.

Back