something to think about...

What is there to think...

except that he is absolutely and inarguably correct and also right.:thumbsup:
But, our 'exceptionalism' protects us from the doing what is right much of the time, to our shame and cost.:mad2:

It may be worth noting that in his Citadel speech a day or so ago, Romney basically committed to 'more of the same' in our foreign policy-more military spending, more confrontation with Iran, more blue water navy to keep up appearances in the Taiwan Straits, more neo-con stuff in general....Mitt is the anti-Ron Paul in many and growing ways. Very discouraging.

Yeah, having grown up as a military brat, and doing some 'military time' post college as an officer... I have to admit I don't understand the fascination we have with dumping so much in defense. I don't understand the huge bases in Europe any more... even in the 70's when the Russian machine still seemed real and scary, in many ways our base just seemed to be there propping up the local economy rather than offering real 'defense' capability.

I'm 47 and I have several friends from HS that were also military brats, and like their fathers went into the military. (mostly as officers) Many are now retired, but I have several that were cut off, RIF'd out around the same time I was, when the berlin wall came down. (We actually cut the defense budget!!!)
But a few years later, 9/11 happened and many of my friends were called back... and are now finishing out full military careers. Some of my friends are going on and hitting points higher than their fathers, because there are so many jobs and billets in the military to fill now! Weird to be let go after 4-6 years of service because you were deemed unnecessary, only to be recalled a few years later, and then finish off a career outranking your father who graduated with honors from one of the military academys. Seems odd to me.

(RIF = Reduction In Force)

Back