Spare tire replacement option

///Mike

'76 & '85
Recent discussions here serve as a reminder that our spares are pretty old. On top of that, they take up a fair amount of space in such a small car. Flat tires are fairly uncommon in street cars anymore, and modern sports cars aren't even equipped with a spare.

Being the paranoid left brained type, I do like having a spare in case something happens to bend the wheel or cause the tire to be irreparable. But many such instances would result in other damage to our low, somewhat fragile cars. In those cases one would have to rely on a cell phone anyway, which was not really an option when most of our cars were new.

So I'm wondering how critical a spare tire actually is for most of us...

Found this on sale for $15 today at Autozone: http://www.slime.com/product/122/Smart-Spair-15-Minute-Emergency-Tire-Repair-(#SS-PDQ/06).html

It's quite small so it fits neatly beside the jack, and would probably fit inside the spare wheel. Water soluble, so it avoids the pitfalls of the typical flat repair aerosols.

Anybody got any experience with it?

For those interested, the sign at the store said they were on sale through 6/3.

Also, has anyone yet made a space saver spare work with an X?

///Mike

I asked the same question on the FSW section...

couple of days ago.No answers yet.I`m gonna try some of the vintage tire vendors i see in some of my magazines.Maybe they have something resembling 145`s.......stay tuned.:)

brought this up before

no one has found a donut that will fit. I was going to find an old Nissan or Toyota donut spare, and see if a machine shop will drill 4 new holes at 4x98. I would like to do this to reduce weight, and make room for an older MS system(and hopefully my ignition module too). Of course if you have a passenger AND a flat at the same time, and that extra space used up in the spare compartment, girlfriend is gonna be riding home with a full size tire in her lap, Or riding with her knees jammed against the dash, LOL. Kevin

No spare tire

As you said in the beginning, I drive with no spare tire on board.
I found out the tire I have is too big to fit right in the compartment. I think its a 180/65. So I left it out "for a while" until I get a smaller one :wacko:.
I have been thinking if I really need a spare. Also, my jack receptacle under the chassis it bent and I know that if I fix it, by the time I'll need to change a tire it will be mangled again :hmm:.
So why bother.

Keep the full size spare.

I have megasquirt installed with a full sized spare tire.

See.
M-Swiring.jpg

megasquirtcontrolbay.jpg

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Herzel...

If you ever want a jack to carry with you try to find one from a rear wheel drive Toyota Celica. They're scissor jacks that are much more stable than the factory X jack and from my recollection they fit the X weld rail perfectly.

Wish I knew what happened to the one I used to have in my '76. Probably gave it to a long-gone ex-GF or something. :-(

///Mike

Back