Spare Tire

halojm

True Classic
So, I know there have been various discussions about the various spare tire possibilities, versus no spare or fix-a-flat, but I just happened on something at the junkyard today that works really well. (and it's dirt cheap for Papa Tony, too! HA!) My nephew and I were going through a junkyard a friend of mine owns where you can still look around and pull your own parts. I brought calipers along on the off chance I could find a wheel/tire spare tire combo that would work on the X and fit well in the spare tire compartment. Well, the first car I measure, a Saturn sedan, had an almost perfect bolt pattern and center hole diameter. I walked out of the junkyard with that beauty for a whopping price of free, took it home and trial fitted it. About a half hour later, with minimal enlarging of the center hole, slight inward enlarging of the bolt holes, and the addition of the locating pins holes, it was on. Fit well, cleared everything, took up very little room in the spare tire compartment. Just thought someone might be interested in a spare tire alternative. One note, you have to use the shorter steel wheel bolts with this spare tire.
Dave
SpareTire.jpg

SpareTire1.jpg

SpareTire2.jpg

Note from JimD: Dave moved the pics around in his Photobucket account. I will add them back here with the new locations:
SpareTire2.jpg
SpareTire1.jpg
SpareTire.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave... You get my vote for THINKER of the MONTH!

Perfect for something that will either NEVER or RARELY be used and makes more room in the spare tire compartment as well as the dump sites!

BRAVO!

how heavy is it? I picked up a space saver wheel the other day and was shocked at the weight, I would say it was heavier than the stock steel wheels, but this was for a Subaru...

I'm going to be using one of my Cromodora magnesium wheels.

Good work anyway, especially at that price!

Very narrow, T115/70R14

but also, because of the almost complete lack of rubber, very light. I was using a stock CD91 rim with either a 175/70R13 or 185/60R13 tire and it was a tight fit, pushed the spare tire cover out, and was a bear to get in and out. I figure, you only use the spare for temporary use, so why not use a "temporary use only" spare wheel/tire combo.
Dave

good to hear its lighter, I could barely believe it when I lifted the Subaru one.

I'll be keeping mine in the front to help even out the weight of the vehicle, and I like the extra storage behind the seat for shopping :) each to their own ;)

Back