Speaker suggestions?

///Mike

'76 & '85
What speakers have folks here had good luck with to replace the factory rear speakers? Those are 4x6", right?

How about for installation in the doors?

Currently thinking to replace the rear speakers with Infinity Kappa plates and then see how big of a round Infinity Kappa I can fit in the doors. They do (or did) make a shallow depth 6.25" 2 way. Any chance I can make those fit by spacing them out a bit?

Not looking for a "competition" sound system, nor do I want the whole car to shake when I crank it. Just looking to be able to hear my classic rock over the road/exhaust noise. Got plenty of power too, just need to find some decent drivers that'll fit without cutting lot of sheet metal.

Anybody got a modern setup they really like?

TIA,

///Mike

Yes, the factory rears...

...are 4x6. However, there are a couple things you need to pay attention to... there is not a lot of depth in the factory location, so the vast majority of 4x6's available today will not fit because they're too deep. I have some inexpensive Pioneer two-ways in mine, and the drivers side one bottoms out in the hole. I've seen some cars were the owners made custom spacers to give more depth. The other thing to be aware of is that all "4x6" speakers are not the same size... there is the European "DIN" size and then there is the American standard... The X obviously has the European "DIN" config. (my Pioneer speakers came with adapters that allowed them to fit both spots)

Can't help you with the door mount... never put any there... but I do know there's not a lot of room. The X is relatively noisey environment so IMHO trying to stuff good audio in there is kind of a waste of money and effort... but to each their own...

Just another idea...

You'll likely receive plenty...
I stuffed these coaxial speakers (I think they are Pioneer) in the rear. They just BARELY fit (magnet-wise) but the cone itself needed a lot of travel area, so I made up a set of aluminum "frames" for them so that the covers wouldn't interfere with the speaker cone. Looked like this:

bertonespeakerln8.jpg

I used Velcro around the top (as shown) and the covers press tight against them. Results were very good with no vibrations from the covers.
x19speakergrillsmall.jpg

Bass speakers? That's an on-going story. Good luck with your stereo project. :headbang:

door speakers

Hi Mike

I use similar like everybody on rear, on the doors I use a keenwood round 6" attach to the door cover and between a 2" ring tall, In this place you don't need to cut any sheet metal, if you see on the picture on the bottom left corner on the door i have a pioneer 2" tweeters, those are attach to the door cover only too.

xweb063.th.jpg

http://trazia.com/x19/images/xweb-063.jpg

extrasmallrbrbadgezv7.jpg

Ricardo
X19/79

My old 85 x had 5.25s in the door and 4x6s in teh rear.

This was a late model (85) and the speaker went in front of / above the door handle and bumper the corner of teh dash slightly.

There isn't a lot of room (back space) up there, so be careful.

My 78 has no rear deck speakers

but the PO dented in the kick panels in the driver and passenger foot wells. Look to be about a 5"-6" speaker placed into each dent. It is a truly high-tech arrangement.

im001792gr2.jpg

im001790om7.jpg

And these monster speakers are driven hard by this:
im0011371at.jpg

:laugh:

I have thought about upgrading and adding speakers to the rear shelf, but I can't bring myself to cut up my existing interior.
seatsx195ho.jpg

Consider speakers in the bottom of the dash rather than the door panel.

As seen from below:
IMG_0975.jpg

As seen from the seat level:
IMG_0978.jpg

Need base?:
IMG_1664.jpg

Thanks!!!!

Thanks to everyone who responded. Lots of good info here.

Jim W, thanks for reminding me that there are two 4x6" specs. Shows you how long it's been since I've thought about this kind of stuff.

Bob Brown, your installation is beautiful, as usual. Do you happen to know the model speaker you used, or are they old enough to have been superceded?

Ricardo, your installation is similar to what I was considering, only I can mount mine higher and further forward since I have electric windows. There is a recess in the inner door skin in that area-- that's where the 4" speakers are mounted in the '76.

Jim D, I got all excited about mounting separate mid drivers where yours are-- until I realized the front trunk lever is in the way on my late model car and I'm too lazy to move it. Sure would be a great place for me to put 6" mid drivers in my '76, coupled with separate dash mounted tweeters, since the front trunk release isn't an issue on that car.

BTW Jim, I have the exact same head unit housing (back then it was a radio kit) in my '76. No idea where it came from though-- it was there when I got the car in '78.

Gregory Smith, thanks to that pic I now remember seeing your spare wheel sub installation before. *Very* cool-- I'm quite interested in doing something similar. I like that it can be easily removed for the occasional track jaunt (even though this is a heavy-arse street car). How does it sound? Is it worth the effort? Apparently that's a discontinued model so I would greatly appreciate a model number and any other details of your installation.

Whilst searching for Gregory's sub I notice that Pioneer now offers shallow depth low-end drivers ("subwoofers"). Has anyone attempted to mount one of these in the spare tire well?

My current thinking is to install a separate two-way system somewhere up front, mounting the tweeters on the dash, and then add some sort of lower end driver in the spare tire well to add some lower frequency texture. I like the idea of being able to remove the heavy low-end driver. :)

Again, thanks for the info.

///Mike

my speakers

one of the things I pride with my system is no hacking was required.

my rear deck speakers are 4x6 pioneer

hpim3336.jpg

I have the spare tire pioneer sub (yes this makes a huge difference in sound)

hpim5061.jpg

driven by a legacy alpine amp (tucked nicely away in spare tire compartment)

hpim1707.jpg

and some infinity tweeters with passive crossovers mounted up front

hpim5062.jpg

Hey Greg,i too still have the factory P3 as my spare....

but i`m thinking on getting something newer to replace it.Makes me nervous to think it has almost 23yrs!!! have you found/seen/heard of anything in that size around that can be purchased?......Let me know,...Albert

Back