Speedo cable (again)

dcioccarelli

Dominic Cioccarelli
Hi all,

I know this has been covered several times, but I'm in the process of replacing my speedo cable. I have a 2 piece cable, so my first assumption is that I will NOT need to remove the instrument cluster (the new cable mates with the existing short cable).

What interests me is that I remember reading in an old post that one could use the existing (broken) cable to pull the new cable through. The only issue with this approach that I can see is that at least the end with the white connector would be too big to fit through the grommet that the brake lines go through. Can anyone comment?

I was thinking of chopping off the white connector on the broken cable and taping it to the silver (gearbox) connector and pulling it through like that. Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Cheers,
Dom.

If your outer housing is ok

Then you can feed the new cable through from the front.

unhook it at the tranny side and at the connection on the dash side.

Pull the old cable out from the dash side, grease up the new cable, push it through from the dash side and reconnect everything.

ahhhhh

I hate that. Take the new cable out of the new outer casing before you run the casing through. It will make it a tad easier.

Un hook the cable from both the tranny and the short cable. Unhook it from all the clips it is clipped to from the tranny, under the car to where it goes into the floor. The biggest, biggest pain is to get it through the same hole in the front trunk. Getting out is ok, but getting it back in and threaded back through the footwell is not fun. Take out the drivers side seat and put something over the rails to be kind to your body. You might have to pull the carpet back a little to work with the cable in the pedal area. Once you can work the cable into that hole with the hoses, you are good. Taking the actual cable out of the outer casing and installing the casing then is a little easier to work with in my opinion. But the first couple times I did it, after 30 minutes to 3 hours of trying and trying, I was ready to cut a new hole in the trunk for the cable. But once you get it through, it is pretty basic. The biggest pain is that hole from the front truck to the pedal area. Second biggest pain is the pedal area. Other than that, it is gravy.

Thanks

Many thanks for the detailed advice. I was hoping to be able to somehow use the old cable to pull the new one through (from the gearbox connector end). That way (in theory) I could get it through the front boot grommet more easily and could completely avoid needing to deal with pulling up the carpet.

Well, that is the theory in any case. In practise, it may not be so easy...

Back