Speedo cable

Ollie

Low Mileage
Hi all, I need some advise on a few things, I removed the instrument cluster from the dashboard to tighten the dash up because the squeaking was getting to me! When I did this the speedo cable came out with it, I've tried connecting it back in to the connection point in the front scuttle area but it isn't working now. I'm not sure if I have ruined the thread or if theres a specific way of putting it back in, another thing is the reverse light switch removal, I'm not sure whether the transmission oil needs draining before I remove it or is it OK to pull it out. Thanks, Ollie

Asking the obvious here, but did you attach the cable to the back of the cluster? It's usually very difficult as there is literally only about 12mm for you to get your hand back there and screw it into the back of the speedometer. Also IIRCC depending on the year it could have 2 cables, both of which meet at a small box in the scuttle.

Hi yes it is still connected at the back of the cluster. I will try and connect the cables again later, just not sure if it screws in to the connector or just pushes in as it doesn't feel very secure atm

Ollie, it may depend on what type of cable you have. I believe some have a screw-on metal fitting and others a snap-on plastic one. Take a close look to see what type of connection it is. The technique to attach it will be different accordingly. And being in the UK, I don't think you have the little 'box' that Eastep mentions. It is a 'timer' to check the O2 sensor. Not sure European cars had that. But you still have two cables either way. And they connect to one another in a similar fashion as with a box in between. Also, if the end of the inner cable (where it connects into the junction you are working on) has the squared off shape, sometimes that can be a bit fiddly to get it fully engaged with the receiving half. You might have to turn the inner cable a little to get them to align (square peg in square hole). May have to put it in gear and rock the car to get it to move. It is a difficult area to get into so it can be frustrating.

Back