Speedometer Question + NEVER EVER GO TO DEAN TRANSMISSION! (long story incl.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Speedometer Question + NEVER EVER GO TO DEAN TRANSMISSION! (long story incl.)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 4 2001 at 3:51 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mike Waggoner [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->My speedometer quit working, right after I took it to Dean Transmission for the 2nd time (the first time they put in a bad tranny). I had also just replaced the dashboard, and had taken the speedo off to do that.
I assumed it was the cable. However, the speedometer works very occasionally which says to me it ain't. And just fiddling with it now, taking out the speedo and watching the cable, it spun while I was in reverse, then not while I was going forward. Then I went into reverse again, with no movement this time.
I've made sure the internal cable (the part that spins inside) is all the way into the sleeve, and have also tried a few intermittent positions. Nothing seems to make it rotate. However, I haven't looked at the connection on the tranny end (it's raining). The cable is very well greased with new looking grease (looks like PO put in new internals from a kit).

The torrid tale of Dean Transmission

First time to Dean-paid a ton of money because I wanted to drive the car, and didn't know any mechanics, got a reference for them from a friend. They put in a 'rebuilt' transmission. Bad (extremely noisy bearings, 2, 3 gears) transmission installed. I had no interior pieces around the shifter at the time, so there was nothing for them to leave out.

Second time in, another tranny. Still seems noisier than it should. They also left it in a dissassembled state, with an incorrect rubber boot. If I hadn't had a spare boot (just out of luck), I would have had to buy another one.

Driving fiat, thinking "Why did I spend so much on the tranny" when the shift lever came off in my hand (not the knob, the whole damn lever!). The nuts are inside the shift housing and you can't get to them without taking substantial parts of the tranny apart (I think you even have to drop it).

Third time: Finished it, but oops, the ****ers left out a dome shaped metal piece (I'm not sure of it's exact function, but I'm sure it's not in there for no reason), and the spring that keeps the lever popped up so you don't put it into reverse on accident. Furthermore, the bastards left the parts on the seat!!!!!
Still haven't been able to take it down to them again yet, but I'm sure something will go wrong again.
The other fun note is that I am in Bellingham, Dean Transmission is in downtown seattle (had work done while car was in Seattle). They keep all cars inside (which I appreciate), but that means that their space is limited. So when they finish, I've gotta get the damn car out within 24 hours, or else pay $15 or $25 a day. They don't know exactly how long each repair will take, so I've gotta be willing to drive 1.5 hours to get the car, then drive back to B'ham.
I wish I had more time so I could sue. There's not something like the lemon laws for new cars, is there? (they get 3 times to fix the same problem, then they gotta give you a new car).<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]lezesig[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Wow<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 4 2001, 6:04 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Mike,
Sorry to hear of your luck ! As you know, dropping the tranny for rework is a very involving task. I'm sure Steve will chime in here shortly on this subject.

Every part to the tranny is critical to its operation and you must have a 4speed ? If it has the belled washers.

You do not want to know the function of the (2) belled washers !!

Is your unit now fully assembled and operational ? I've reread your post and having a slight difficulty ascertaining what shape you auto is in NOW.

There might be a big safety concern to address here....

Tell us more.

out for now,
lezesig '79 X 1/9<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mike Waggoner[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->This is on my spider, it's a 5 spd <NT><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 4 2001, 7:02 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]lezesig[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->The same applies<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 5 2001, 11:52 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Mike,
You have leftover parts from a transmission rebuild ?

Lezesig '79 X 1/9<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mike Waggoner[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Lunkheads (+ where parts are from)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 6 2001, 3:16 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->These are, luckily, just parts from the lever change mechanism. The level assy. is almost totally seperate from the transmission internals (it justs bolts on, and has a level to interface with the transmission), so it's not the type of thing to kill me or the car. Just the kind of thing to annoy.
So the lack of these parts mean that A) I have no reverse lockout (how you should have to push down, make a conscious effort to go into reverse) and that B) the level rattles at certain rpms (since it isn't held tightly in place by spring). They all came out when I pulled out the shift lever in my hand.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Tony Natoli"); // --> </SCRIPT>Tony Natoli <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hmmmmm.... Sorry to hear about yur trouble.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 4 2001, 9:29 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->As for "lemon laws", they usually only apply to NEW cars under warrenty.

I believe you have a problem for your better bussiness bureau or Department of Consumer Affairs. Lastly, a trip to Small Claims Court to re-coup your losses.

FIRST thing though, is go give the business the opportunity to make you "whole".

Not that they should FIX the work they've done... I think they have DEMONSTRATED their incompetence and you have shown MORE than enough patience.

Now you need to determine what it would cost to make you WHOLE.

The variables to this are unknown to me... Maybe they should refund you the cost of having a COMPETENT shop do the repairs... (they won't wanna do this, they'll wanna do it themselves... but don't let them!) they had their chance!

Go get some estimates... (Steve H could surely help) and then submit your request to them. Then get it fixed and file a claim in Small Claims Court. Note that loss of time at work and filing fees etc. cannot be recouped... so make sure your claim pretty well covers these things internally. The court will pay the lowest estimate.

Its alot a trouble I know... but if you don't take the initiative... they'lll keep doing what they're doing... so do it for the general good. YOU HAVE OUR SUPPORT!

"When a price is placed on justice, there is none!" "Justice is not free, its EXPENSIVE... but ya feel a lot better than being just taken!"

Both quotes are mine... and I live by them... Most of the time folks know I mean business and give me what I want. I rarely get into these situations... but rarely loose when I do.

Good luck... let us know what happens.

Best Regards,

Tony Natoli
1979 X1/9 with 148K and still steamin'
Santa Clarita, CA<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back