Splash! Then overheating and low voltage

emrliquidlife

True Classic
So a few times, driving in the rain, I have lost voltage and the water temp goes sky high. After a short time, the voltage comes back and the water temp comes back to normal. I am assuming this is because somehow the pulleys got wet. Any help with this?

Gets unerving worrying about the temps. The car currently has no cover on the pulley for the crank or elsewhere.

Are the splash shields in place?

There are 3 splash shields that need to be in place to deflect the water and other debris. One vertical mounts in the right rear wheel well arch and fits over the axle to protect the belt area, the second is a horizontal shield that mounts below the alternator and attaches at the rear of the engine bay and another horizontal shield protects the starter on the front of the engine.

Some people remove all these shields to get more airflow, but then you get good water flow too. :(

You so-cal guys aren't used to the rain eh?

Without at least the lower larger shield in the wheel well you are going to get this behavior. If it happens right away (smallest puddle) I would check your belts to be safe as too and make sure they are generally ok.

It sucks when you have the crank pully --> water pump pully --> alternator pully configuration as all it takes is the first pully to get wet and slip then yucko...:(

Yeah Eddie... sounds like you've lost...

... all traction with the water-pump and alternator belt. Sounds just like what happens when you LOOSE a belt altogether! (Happened to me ONCE!)

I'm also one of those guys Jiminy is talking about when it comes to removing all those rubber shields... usually just for ease of maintenance... but I do subscribe to the theory that it allows for better cooling also.

My rain experiences with a properly tightened belt have never given me the trouble you've described and I've gone through a FEW storms and a few puddles in the last 28 years. Maybe that is all you need, or maybe you need a new belt.

Also note if you have a standard belt or one of those segmented or notched belts... Maybe one is better than the other.

Merry Christmas to you and the little Pitter!

Put the splash shields back on, or

Don't drive in the rain. Me, I took mine off, not so much for the sake of airflow (it is not at all obvious that taking them off improves cool air flow) but because it makes it so much easier to work on the car. But the tradeoff is that I don't drive in the rain.

Similar considerations with the shields around the brake rotors. I leave them off because that's one less thing in the way. But if I were ever to splash through a puddle... I cannot trust the brakes until they're dried off... Ride the brakes for gently for a minute or so until I feel them smooth out and bite.

I have no shields as mentioned. I had alt/water pump belt squeal and loss of charging a few times a while back, tightening the belt helped but I ended up replacing it. The old one looked alright but I think they may harden up with time and not grip as well? Maybe?

Back