Sputtering

Jim McKenzie

1972 850 Spider
So this long weekend I decided to do some minor maintenance and repair work on the X. Checked all fluids...all were good, washed car, armorall'ed the dash etc...minor stuff.

One thing I did was change my fuel filter. I used a Beck Arney filter that was slightly bigger than the one I replaced.

Took the car out for a 10 mile drive, 5 each way. As I was heading back I noticed the car started to lose a little power, and sputtered a tad at idle. Gas and downshifting relieved it and I was able to drive home with no problems other than the perceived lack of power. I have dual Webers btw.

Every post I've seen on this symptom indicates a dirty carb, and I wondered if just replacing the fuel filter was enough to dislodge some crud into at least on of the carbs?

crud in carbs

Every post I've seen on this symptom indicates a dirty carb, and I wondered if just replacing the fuel filter was enough to dislodge some crud into at least on of the carbs?

Very likely, although it's also possible that the new filter isn't as effective as the old one. Clean jets, blow passages clean, you know the drill :sigh:

Well... the FILTER is OK, but...

... even though they USUALLY work OK his way... the aftermarket ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP should be installed LOW, not at this height.

Electric pumps are known for their PUSH, and LACK of PULL... that is why the FI cars have their fuel lines coming from the bottom of the tank and their pumps mounted down low.

Even though you have to pull the gas over the top... mounting the pump LOWER will indeed help. The better solution is to use a late model tank, or go back to the mechanical pump.

I say all this only if the cleanliness and other crud issues are cared for. I see new fuel lines, so old ones would not be a factor... Anyway... thats my only suggestion... other than a clogged pickup in the tank... with the pumps poor sucking... this could be a factor also!

HTH...

Back