Starter motor

Tony 1X

I have a question regarding the starter motor.
Is the drive gear on the starter motor larger for the automatic transmission then the one for a manual transmission.
I just purchased a remanufactured starter motor and comparing it to the one I took off my 81X I noticed the one I just purchased has more teeth and slightly larger drive gear. I didn't notice at first and installed it turned the key and it would not engage the flywheel. I then removed it and compared the two and everything else looks identical except the drive gear.
I noticed while searching the web for a starter they list two different one's, one for manual transmission and one for auto trans. I'm just trying to figure out if they gave me the one for an auto trans when I ordered one for a manual trans or do the starter motors vary between years and they possibly gave me one for a different year?

Last edited:
Is the drive gear on the starter motor larger for the automatic transmission then the one for a manual transmission.
I just purchased a remanufactured starter motor and comparing it to the one I took off my 81X I noticed the one I just purchased has more teeth and slightly larger drive gear. I didn't notice at first and installed it turned the key and it would not engage the flywheel. I then removed it and compared the two and everything else looks identical except the drive gear.
I noticed while searching the web for a starter they list two different one's, one for manual transmission and one for auto trans. I'm just trying to figure out if they gave me the one for an auto trans when I ordered one for a manual trans or do the starter motors vary between years or and they possibly gave me one for a different year?

LOL, an auto X-1/9...?

BTW, I do believe their is a difference between the 1300 and 1500 starter. And maybe the carb vs FI 1500. I do know for a fact that the 1.3L Uno Turbo starter will NOT work in a 1500 block unless you swap flywheels.

Different starters.

The 1300 and the 1500 use different starters.

Also there was a 1500 Strata that came with AutoMatic Transmission. Rare but there were a few around.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

starters

I noticed while searching the web for a starter they list two different one's, one for manual transmission and one for auto trans. I'm just trying to figure out if they gave me the one for an auto trans when I ordered one for a manual trans or do the starter motors vary between years and they possibly gave me one for a different year?

There are three starters.
4 speed
5 speed
automatic as used in the Strada

The manual transmission starters I belive use the same bolt pattern (not sure about the automatic), but the flywheel ring gears are different. The starter from a 4 speed will not work in a 5 speed application. And the other way around.
To add to the confusion, when the Yugo (4 speed) was introduced it came with two different teeth count drives. At first we were concerned about getting the 'correct' starter, but we soon realized they were interchangeable.
If you have a 5 speed starter that does not match yours, take it back. I have had many experiences with inexpensive rebuild houses mixing up the 5 speed starter with something from some other unknown application. For all I know, you might have been given one of the units I have rejected!

Thanks for the info. But part of my problem is that I'm across the International border from Detroit. Between phone calls and bridge tolls, fuel that I have already been paying this starter dilemma is becoming a pain.
The starter, solenoid, and housing is identical, even bolt pattern, it seems they only have wrong size drive gear. The one they sold me has 11 teeth and the faulty one I have has only 9 teeth I believe.
So I've been trying to get as much info to explain what I need so as to avoid multiple trips across the border. Thanks again

P.S Just wanted to add that when I picked up this wrong starter the person behind the counter said " I hear Fiat is going to start building cars again" :)

And this is why I need as much info as possible.

Dental Report: 9 teeth

Hi Tony, my starter was out so I took a few snapshots just in case you need them. Mine is from an '86 and also has 9 teeth on the drive.

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

I have an NOS starter drive

Hi Tony,
I have an NOS starter drive and am right across the river from you. It has 9 teeth and is Fiat P/N 4202988. Marelli P/N 748.614.41.
I bought it for some reason so it probably is for a 1300cc car. I don't know if the 9-tooth 1300 drive is the same as the 9-tooth 1500 drive.

If you want it, make me a reasonable offer and it's yours. I'm 20 mins from the bridge.

Thanks for the info. But part of my problem is that I'm across the International border from Detroit. Between phone calls and bridge tolls, fuel that I have already been paying this starter dilemma is becoming a pain.
The starter, solenoid, and housing is identical, even bolt pattern, it seems they only have wrong size drive gear. The one they sold me has 11 teeth and the faulty one I have has only 9 teeth I believe.
So I've been trying to get as much info to explain what I need so as to avoid multiple trips across the border. Thanks again

P.S Just wanted to add that when I picked up this wrong starter the person behind the counter said " I hear Fiat is going to start building cars again" :)

And this is why I need as much info as possible.

Thanks for the offer Paul.
I contacted the place I purchased it and they wanted me to bring it back before ordering a new one which means I would have to make two additional trips across the border and hope they get it right if they didn't then it would be more trips.
I had not turned in my old one when I purchased the replacement so what I did is disassemble both and made one starter using as many of the new parts from the remanufactured starter as possible. Tested it off the car worked fine, installed it and started right up.
Again thanks for the info and Paul if I have anymore starter issues I will keep you in mind. Thanks.

No problem, Tony

Keep Sam at Overseas Motors in Livonia (metro Detroit) in mind too. He still has his remaining dealer inventory of parts. He is often there when other places are closed depending on what is going on with his other business (manufacturing brake rotors).

Wow...Overseas Motors...

...I hadn't heard tat name in probably 20+ years! Completely forgot about them.

Back