Starting X1/9 after a long lay-up

milan1951

True Classic
What is the best way to approach 1982 X 1/9 engine that hasn't been started for a few years. Spark plugs out and fogging oil ? WD 40 ?
Oil change and replacement with a specially formulated oil. Any ideas and tips welcome.

Michael

Put some auto trans fluid down the plug hole. Do not use WD40, it will take off any oil film that may be there. Then crank over by hand. Change the oil and filter. Pull the plugs and turn the motor over on the starter to build oil pressure. Put the plugs back in, fresh gas and fire it up.

Thanks Dewolf from Adelaide. Auto trans fluid does a good job of ungumming rings. How to crank over by hand. Socket on front pulley nut and breaker bar ? Will follow your directions and see what happens. Slowly but surely........ Will let you know on progress.

Canberra Australia
82 1500 5 Spd.

Indeed. Trans oil is much thinner than motor oil. It will coat the rings and bore nicely. Yep...socket on front pulley clockwise. Do it very slowly. As each piston comes up the bore to its top dead center just add a little more oil. If you have a compressor handy with an air nozzle, after you oil the bore at TDC, push the air hose into the plug and just a little blast of air. This will spray the trans oil around in there.

Thanks Dewolf, was not aware of benefits of Trans oil. Will try the compressed air spray from my little compressor. Socket on pulley and bar and slowly clockwise. Next move in working on the old flame.
How is your project going ? I've had my 1982 X 1/9 since 1989.

Goes without saying, but don't forget to keep a can of starting fluid handy! After my X sat for ~10 years, I did a dumbed-down version of what @Dewolf describes above, and also installed a brand-new battery. Cranked over fine but refused to start... Until I sprayed starting fluid down the intake, at which point it coughed and sputtered to life and has been running fine ever since.

JNewm thanks for the tip. Always have a can of aerosol ether. Here in Australia its aptly labelled 'Start ya Bastard !' I've been addicted to starting engines with Aerostart- Ether. Even my Briggs lawn-mower gets a starting shot !

Thanks Dewolf, was not aware of benefits of Trans oil. Will try the compressed air spray from my little compressor. Socket on pulley and bar and slowly clockwise. Next move in working on the old flame.
How is your project going ? I've had my 1982 X 1/9 since 1989.

Literally just started on Sunday evening. I'll update a thread I started as I move along. It's a long, but fun, road ahead. My first legal road car was Lancia Beta HPE 2000. That was 38 years ago. I was 16. Would blow the doors of my mates Holdens and Fords.

JNewm thanks for the tip. Always have a can of aerosol ether. Here in Australia its aptly labelled 'Start ya Bastard !' I've been addicted to starting engines with Aerostart- Ether. Even my Briggs lawn-mower gets a starting shot !

I was in and around Melbourne for a few weeks last year and found myself consistently delighted w/ the local lingo. Hard to pick a favorite, but the one I still use most often is "Give it a red-hot go!"

What is the best way to approach 1982 X 1/9 engine that hasn't been started for a few years. Spark plugs out and fogging oil ? WD 40 ?
Oil change and replacement with a specially formulated oil. Any ideas and tips welcome.

Michael

I would change the timing belt and the timing tensioner bearing. I don’t know if your cars still had the 1300 option and if it was still an interference engine. In any case these should be changed.

I don't know how many years it has been sitting but you may want to check out what is going on in the fuel tank. Probably a good idea to replace the fuel hoses, especially if they are original.

I would change the timing belt and the timing tensioner bearing. I don’t know if your cars still had the 1300 option and if it was still an interference engine. In any case these should be changed.

Karl, will take your suggestion and change timing belt and tensioner bearing just to be safe. Not a great expense since its done almost 100,000 kilometres in thirty years. Will avoid costly engine damage in the future.

I don't know how many years it has been sitting but you may want to check out what is going on in the fuel tank. Probably a good idea to replace the fuel hoses, especially if they are original.

At least two years when I lost interest in the X 1/9. Will drain tank and refill. Will replace hoses with metal ones from MB and good metal screen fuel filter from Midwest Bayless.

So are you in Canberra now or is that just where you once were from?

If down under I have to hope there are some more local places to get some of this stuff.

At least two years when I lost interest in the X 1/9. Will drain tank and refill. Will replace hoses with metal ones from MB and good metal screen fuel filter from Midwest Bayless.
Before you refill the tank, you might want to have a good look inside and make sure there is no crud buildup. Fresh gas can start dissolving it and it can find a way into the rest of the system. An alternative to using the screen is to use a pre filter before the pump. That will catch more than the screen and is easier to replace.

Thanks for tip Don, a pre fuel filter before the fuel pump. Any better than others ? Any way to drain tank and flush ?

So are you in Canberra now or is that just where you once were from?

Karl hi, I live in Canberra and was once from Italy. I have lived in Canberra for 50+ years after migrating to Australia with parents. Have had my 1982 FIAT X 1/9 for almost 30 years. Replaced a Honda S800. The X 1/9 was driven by both kids for years to attract looks with dire results needing re-builds.

Attachments

• 1982 FIAT X 1:9jpg.jpg
    1982 FIAT X 1:9jpg.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 73
An S800, nifty little exotic that is. The original motorcycle engined car. An X is quite a change from that you must miss the Honda. A friend had an S600 Coupe which was amazing to hear rev. Lovely little engine.

On a carbureted car the prefilter is a little less needed as you should have a filter between the pump and the carb. It is unlikely to hurt (I just put one on my 45 year old tractor to capture the rust from the inside of the tank and one on my X for the same reasons). If you are using an electric fuel pump it can help with the longevity of the fuel pump. Carbs can digest larger objects but it is nice to not have to deal with a deep clean of the carb if some does get into the jets.

My recollection is all Australian Xs were carbureted cars or am I quite mistaken?

A pre filter saved my mechanical fuel pump from a world of pain after fresh gas had about a week to start dissolving the crud in my tank.

Back