Steering box leaking?

Martygf

Daily Driver
Looking for some advice - taken all the suspension off on the front drivers side to clean/repair and paint. In so doing so i have noticed the steering box seems to be leaking? As the car hasnt been used on the road for 10 years could it just be a gasket broken down after years of non use? I dont want it to fail its first MOT for anything i can rectify now. Is it an easy repair to remove and strip/repair and refill the box? Any advice / tips welcome as this i unknown territory to me. (1989 UK Gran Finale.)
Thanks

The steering rack is really easy to rebuild. Most of the Fiat parts slingers have the required parts. I went thru IAP (International Auto Parts). My one tip is to use grease instead of oil. You wont notice a difference, and it wont leak...

Bit curious. Most later X steering racks were filled with moly grease.

Possible some one worked on this rack and filled it with oil?

FIAT spec is moly grease or gear oil depending on what year service manual is looked at.

Regardless, replace both rack boots and lube as required.

Bernice

Looking for some advice - taken all the suspension off on the front drivers side to clean/repair and paint. In so doing so i have noticed the steering box seems to be leaking? As the car hasnt been used on the road for 10 years could it just be a gasket broken down after years of non use? I dont want it to fail its first MOT for anything i can rectify now. Is it an easy repair to remove and strip/repair and refill the box? Any advice / tips welcome as this i unknown territory to me. (1989 UK Gran Finale.)
Thanks

Back