Steering Column Switch Assembly Repair

Mark Olson

True Classic
Note that this is for a '74 - '76 Assembly - newer ones may be different. I have 2 of these Switch Assemblies, one had a broken stalk and the other would not let the low beams operate due to the connection being gummed up - the low/high beam switch sends power out for either low beam or high beam, but not both.

All the pictures below were taken as I was assembling the unit. I missed taking a picture of a metal ring that was inside the assembly, so you will have to note it's location yourself if you do this repair.

I took the Switch Assemblies off their steering columns. To do that you first take the steering wheel off. Then, using an 8 mm wrench, loosen the bolt circled in red in the picture below. The assembly just pulls off the steering column. The next step is to drill out the two rivets, the location of one is at the blue circle in the picture below. A 1/8 drill bit should do the job. Obviously the picture shows a nut there - reason is this picture was taken after reassembly and I did not have long enough rivets so I used #6 machine screws.
Signal Switch Assembled.jpg

The picture below shows the assembly after the first riveted part has been pulled off. You will see a metal ring that is also riveted in place - the location of one rivet is shown by the white arrow, and you can see the end of the second poking out in the center of the assembly. Drill out those rivets also, and pry off the metal ring.
Signal Switch Disassemble 1.jpg

Now would be a good time to see which wires are attached to the next part to come off the assembly and which wires go deeper. On mine there were 5 wires that went deeper. Detach those deeper wires from their connector taking care to note where they came from so they go back in the same locations.

The picture below is what you have when you pull the next piece off. You can remove the next piece but watch for a detent ball and it's spring that may come out of the center tube.
Signal Switch Disassemble 2.jpg

The picture below shows the next piece - with the 3 wires attached - removed from the center tube. The green circle shows where 3 detent balls live with their springs. Mine were gummed up enough that they stayed in place - yours may not. The red circle shows the signal switch cancelling mechanism, it's spring, and where it lives. Note that it has a little tab that only allows it to go in one way.
Signal Switch Disassemble 3.jpg

The picture below shows what is left when you pull off the next piece. It also has a clear view of the detent balls.
Signal Switch Disassemble 4.jpg

You can now pull off the final two pieces:
Signal Switch Disassemble 5.jpg

And this is the final disassembly:
Signal Switch Disassemble 7.jpg

Now clean everything up and reassemble in the reverse order. Don't forget to take the sprung contacts out and clean up their recesses and springs. It was one of those that had quit "springing" on mine and therefore was no longer making contact. I also put a little grease on the detent balls.

Back