Steering Rack Project, part 2

Rupunzell

Bernice Loui
The rack housing and rack gear cleaned up and painted.
rackgearhousing.jpg

There is a needle bearing at the bottom of the pinion gear housing. The four semi-circles are where the pinion cover was staked to prevent it from coming un-done. The rack was clamped in the mill and each of the staked areas were cut away with an end mill to prevent damage to the retainer cover threads. If this cover is simply wrenched off, the threads on this cover will suffer some damage.
rackhousingneedlebearin.jpg

The back side of the pinion gear housing. It is made of a nice aluminum casting. Date code appears to be last quarter of 1979.
rackhousingbackside.jpg

A threaded rod, nut, washer and bushing collar is to press the bronze bushing into the rack gear housing tube.
bushingpress.jpg

Apply pressure by wrenching the nut on the end of the threaded rod. Precision is required here to align the roll pin holes with the rack housing tube slots.
bushingbeingpessedin.jpg

Once the bushing has been pressed to the correct depth and roll pins aligned with the tube slots, 0.125 dia x 0.25" long roll pins are installed into all three slots. There will be a 0.006' to 0.008" gap between the end of the roll pin and rack gear once the roll pins have been pressed flush with the rack tube.
rollpininstall.jpg

A hole is drilled for clearance #6-32 button head socket head screw with self locking nut. To make sure that bushing will not come out..
rollpinsinstalledretain.jpg

These are the pinion gear parts. The bearing is a #6202. There is a rack tensioner assembly with spring, O-rings, plastic shims, cover and two M6 bolts.
rackhousingparts.jpg

Close up of the pinion gear, bearing, cover and related parts. The pinion gear was copper plated before heat treatment and finished ground to size post heat treatment.The rack gear has been induction heat treated. There is virtually no wear on this pinion gear and rack. The #6202 bearing was replaced, but not really needed as all the parts were in very good condition. This is a quality steering rack in every way for what it cost. It is technical details like this that folks who claim FIATs are cheap heaps never see or understand... This is just a small part of what makes these cars such a value for what they cost.
piniongearbearingandetc.jpg

Pinion gear with #6202 bearing and external retaining ring installed. The rack gear gets lots of Redline synthetic CV-2 grease on the rack gear, pinion gear and bearings.
rackgearinstall.jpg

Pinion gear ready to install.
piniongearassy.jpg

Next update will be installing the ball joint ends, rack boots and etc.

Bernice

Wow, good info Bernice

I'm adding this to my collection.
Good info (and tips) to have.
As usual, you go into excellent detail. :clap:

Thanks for posting this.

Imageshack icon is a froggie

Hi Herzel,

I don't know why you can't see the picture, but they are posted on Imageshack which uses a frog as their icon. Why a frog?? I have don't know the "why' of that either. :(

Frozen frog....

I get the same thing....a "cartoon" of a frog in an ice cube.

This has been going on for a few weeks for me.

No links, just the frog.

Could it be a problem with imageshack?

The rack housing and rack gear cleaned up and painted.
rackgearhousing.jpg

There is a needle bearing at the bottom of the pinion gear housing. The four semi-circles are where the pinion cover was staked to prevent it from coming un-done. The rack was clamped in the mill and each of the staked areas were cut away with an end mill to prevent damage to the retainer cover threads. If this cover is simply wrenched off, the threads on this cover will suffer some damage.
rackhousingneedlebearin.jpg

The back side of the pinion gear housing. It is made of a nice aluminum casting. Date code appears to be last quarter of 1979.
rackhousingbackside.jpg

A threaded rod, nut, washer and bushing collar is to press the bronze bushing into the rack gear housing tube.
bushingpress.jpg

Apply pressure by wrenching the nut on the end of the threaded rod. Precision is required here to align the roll pin holes with the rack housing tube slots.
bushingbeingpessedin.jpg

Once the bushing has been pressed to the correct depth and roll pins aligned with the tube slots, 0.125 dia x 0.25" long roll pins are installed into all three slots. There will be a 0.006' to 0.008" gap between the end of the roll pin and rack gear once the roll pins have been pressed flush with the rack tube.
rollpininstall.jpg

A hole is drilled for clearance #6-32 button head socket head screw with self locking nut. To make sure that bushing will not come out..
rollpinsinstalledretain.jpg

These are the pinion gear parts. The bearing is a #6202. There is a rack tensioner assembly with spring, O-rings, plastic shims, cover and two M6 bolts.
rackhousingparts.jpg

Close up of the pinion gear, bearing, cover and related parts. The pinion gear was copper plated before heat treatment and finished ground to size post heat treatment.The rack gear has been induction heat treated. There is virtually no wear on this pinion gear and rack. The #6202 bearing was replaced, but not really needed as all the parts were in very good condition. This is a quality steering rack in every way for what it cost. It is technical details like this that folks who claim FIATs are cheap heaps never see or understand... This is just a small part of what makes these cars such a value for what they cost.
piniongearbearingandetc.jpg

Pinion gear with #6202 bearing and external retaining ring installed. The rack gear gets lots of Redline synthetic CV-2 grease on the rack gear, pinion gear and bearings.
rackgearinstall.jpg

Pinion gear ready to install.
piniongearassy.jpg

Next update will be installing the ball joint ends, rack boots and etc.

Bernice

Hi @Rupunzell - super old thread, I know, but I'm considering going through a rebuild of one of my racks and it would be great to get the missing pictures. If you can re-share (links are now dead) it would be super helpful.

Back