Steering wheel & hub options

sdlsaginaw

Steven Lawson
My small fat Momo is moving from blackX to greenX. That means I need to put a steering wheel on blackX.

Beyond the original aluminum thing, what less-expensive-than-Momo options have others used?

Is the later model leather wheel compatible with an '81? How available (i.e., affordable) are they?

Thanks for the response. I have a Spider adapter for the Momo. It's on my blackX but moving to greenX. I'm needing to get something for blackX to replace it, preferably better than stock but cheaper than another Momo.

I actually just bought another Spider adapter off eBay tonight so now I'll be looking for something affordable to fit on it.

Try a Dino steering wheel. They used to make them for cars, but I think now they concentrate on boating applications. The boat wheels are the exact same and same quality and can be had for very little on internet auction sites.

I did something similar

But instead of drilling out the center hub, I drilled 5 new holes in the steering wheel
and left the original X1/9 hub assembly in-tact.

The holes that are not counter-sunk are the new holes:

steerwheelhubsmok4.jpg

As shown below, fitted, ready for assembly

steerwheelhubattachedsmkq3.jpg

Horn button attached:

steeringhornattachedsmyv0.jpg

And finally the outer shell attached. The outer shell covers the horn button (above) and gives a polished billet look. Quite complementary to my car IMHO, but thankfully everyone has their own tastes regarding what goes best with their X's. I've seen some classy steering wheel variations.

steeringfinalassysmul4.jpg

Installed.

my86interiorunlitsm.jpg

Opposite is also true...

You can use a car steering wheel in a boat.
Here is a photo of my boat (sold about 4 years ago) with a LaCarra steering wheel. (meant for street rods, vetts, etc)

dashqh.jpg

since we're on the subject of wheels and hubs, I remember someone here not too long ago looking for the hex head screws to mount the wheel to a hub. I have literally hundreds of these as i had to buy in bulk when I was searching because of the same issue, so if anyone need any hit me up. :thumbsup:

HAHAHA... HUNDREDS?

Oh my...

I found some at Lowe's Hardware... probably for a couple of bucks for 4 or so...

But hey, are yours the Allen Wrench style and are they Chrome or Black?

Bob... what am I missing here?

I see SIX holes in the adapter, SIX original holes in the wheel, and SIX more holes you drilled in the wheel, that are not countersunk.

Then I see a 5 hole cover installed...

RIGHT?

HUH?

As for the personal preference part... OK... but if the diameter of the 6 holes in the wheel was the same as the adapter, it could have been rotated 60 degrees and simply installed. The signal cancellation might have been affected though, I dunno... but my personal preference woulda been to re-drill the adapter... which is always hidden and then the wheel could be used in its original configuration also.

I still can't see how the 5 hole cap was installed with the 6 holes you drilled! Must be my age, huh! HA!

It's not what YOU'RE missing...

It's what I'M missing in the photo, and that is an adapter plate that sits between that 5-bolt cover and the steering wheel.

I can't believe you are that observant! Ha! :devil: Hey, I should know better by now... :whistle:

I didn't take (or post) a photo of the adapter plate, but it basically allows clearance for the hex (pan head) screws I used to hold the steering wheel to the X1/9 steering wheel mount, and provides the 5 holes to hold the horn cover assembly on.

Honestly Tony, don't you think I would have rotated the steering wheel 60 (whatever) degrees if those holes actually fit?? :doh::mallet:
Well, they were not spaced the same as the X wheel mount so I decided to drill 6 new holes in between rather than chisel out the existing ones.

As for the 5-bolt horn cover assembly, it was all about the look I was trying to achieve, so the adapter plate was another one of those 2-hour investments to "get it right". :)

Now you know the rest of the story....

Oh my...

I found some at Lowe's Hardware... probably for a couple of bucks for 4 or so...

But hey, are yours the Allen Wrench style and are they Chrome or Black?

Yes they are the hex M10 <? M12<? type (same as OEM Momo,Dino,Personal, etc etc) They are in black satin. if someone needs a couple , just cover the cost of a 2 stamps and an envelope. if Someone needs a full set of 5-6 then I was thinking around $2-3 shipped for em if this sounds fair?

Back