Stock Air Cleaner Mod

The biggiest gains I had was opening my dump valve
Sorry but I'm not clear what you are referring to as the dump valve? EGR, AIR pump, ???

Aside from my ignorance on that, I fully agree with you. Your input is great. There isn't anything significant to be gained with all of the little myths that have propagated around the car world for decades. I will give $1000 to anyone who can scientifically prove to me that they can tell a .5 HP difference....all BS aside. The wind/temperature/humidity, fuel grade, road conditions, grease in the CVJ's, hell - choice of oil and spark plugs (yes, I went there), all have a bigger effect. Sorry, I'm a scientist and do not follow fiction.

I can't disappoint Carl...I also experience big gains when I open my dump valve. :D

Sorry but I'm not clear what you are referring to as the dump valve? EGR, AIR pump, ???

Aside from my ignorance on that, I fully agree with you. Your input is great. There isn't anything significant to be gained with all of the little myths that have propagated around the car world for decades. I will give $1000 to anyone who can scientifically prove to me that they can tell a .5 HP difference....all BS aside. The wind/temperature/humidity, fuel grade, road conditions, grease in the CVJ's, hell - choice of oil and spark plugs (yes, I went there), all have a bigger effect. Sorry, I'm a scientist and do not follow fiction.

I can't disappoint Carl...I also experience big gains when I open my dump valve. :D

Based on a car weight of 2000 pounds and a HP of 75 (.0375 HP per pound), opening your dump valve and dropping 13 pounds would be equivalent to .5 HP increase. I am pretty certain I would notice the weight loss from a 13 pound dump. Is that enough scientific proof? :p

You are too funny! Thank god I'm not the only mentally ill member here. And you just reminded me of a scene in one of the Austin Powers movies. Austin and MiniMe were teaming up and standing behind a curtain at a medical exam. MiniMe was strapped to Austin's chest to hide him, but the straps broke and in the shadow through the curtain it looked like Austin dropped a huge baby out of him. My description can't do the scene justice but if you saw the movie you would appreciate what a 13 pound dump would look like.
For the record I will pay you $1000 if you show me you had a 13 pound dump. :D

I will take a picture and post it here tomorrow

So about the power increase resulting from making Swiss cheese our of your air box...

If I remember correctly from a discussion I had with engine tuner there is a reason for the restrictive intake. Apparently with L-Jet and other injection system that have some type of flap, if you whomp on the throttle it causes the AFM to swing wide open then bounce back causing all kinds of emissions hell. By having a restrictive intake on the air box you create a vacuum between the throttle body and the AFM that is slowly relieved by the restricted airflow which reduces sudden changes in the meter reading...

Back