stock heater core replacement options?

fiatmonkey

Tim Hoover
Folks,

Before I post in FS/W forum, thought I would ask if anyone has found a good replacement/alternative to stock x19 heater cores?

-Tim

I got a 124 core (new, on sale) and modified my heater box to accommodate the extra thickness.
IMG_0026.JPG

I got a 124 core (new, on sale) and modified my heater box to accommodate the extra thickness.
View attachment 15256

The angle of the studs is correct for the heater valve and the return line?

Do you recall the difference in thickness? Looks like 10-15mm?

The valve is the same on the 124s as I recall after they superseded the original 124 valve with the X/128 valve.

Thanks

Otherwise I guess another option might be to use something really common that has hose barbs (nipples) instead of the bolt-on hose/valve connections. There are a million choices of similar size and shape, but finding what they are from will be fun. Maybe go to a local parts store and ask to look through a bunch on the shelf? Then use a inline valve like the VW Mk1 item (below) instead of the Fiat bolt-on valve:
download.jpg

yes, takes the same gaskets.

No, but your estimate is close.
View attachment 15263
original core on the right,under the valve and return line; sorry for the fuzzy pic.
I'd do it slightly differently if I did it again.
Thank you.

So you say you would do it slightly differently, what would that differently be? :)

Thanks

According to Bayless, the X1/9 and the early 124s use the same upper heater box.
https://www.midwest-bayless.com/Fia...pper-assembly-fiat-x19-124-spider-all-u8.aspx
and according to the note, it accepts a later, thicker core by removing the 4 tabs inside; when I removed the tabs, the fresh air flap cable and the actuator arm on the bottom of the flap were both in the way. I now open the flap from the scuttle area, and wedge a piece of closed cell foam in the corner to keep it open.

If I were doing it again, I'd leave the tabs and cable in place and extend the box, maybe try longer clips from one of those rectangular air filters that seem to be one of the few options for a Weber (I have one for my old Volvo).

According to Bayless, the X1/9 and the early 124s use the same upper heater box.
https://www.midwest-bayless.com/Fia...pper-assembly-fiat-x19-124-spider-all-u8.aspx
and according to the note, it accepts a later, thicker core by removing the 4 tabs inside; when I removed the tabs, the fresh air flap cable and the actuator arm on the bottom of the flap were both in the way. I now open the flap from the scuttle area, and wedge a piece of closed cell foam in the corner to keep it open.

If I were doing it again, I'd leave the tabs and cable in place and extend the box, maybe try longer clips from one of those rectangular air filters that seem to be one of the few options for a Weber (I have one for my old Volvo).
@Jefco I did it pretty much your way except I modified the actuator arm - https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/diy-heater-core-replacement-using-124-core.35359/

Thanks for the tip!

Back