Strut top plate set not fitting.

markx19

Mark Weinberger
Has anybody used strut top plates sold online? I found that they do not fit correctly.
However, in discussions online, there are two possibilities as to why it could be.
  1. The turret is different depending on the year.
  2. The turret has bowed and is out of shape.
Any thought as to why? You can view what I'm talking about 42 seconds into this video.

Sold online... where? At least one vendor is offering 128 top mounts that need a new hole drilled to fit an X1/9.

I had strut plates put on the top of strut towers.

Attachments

• DSCN1925 (1).JPG
    DSCN1925 (1).JPG
    230.9 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCN1924.JPG
    DSCN1924.JPG
    350.8 KB · Views: 122
I got the real ones, they were all the same shape (like the pair on the right); yours seem to be in 2 pairs?
The oversize of the LH pair might make them harder to fit.

I got the real ones, they were all the same shape (like the pair on the right); yours seem to be in 2 pairs?
The oversize of the LH pair might make them harder to fit.
Was sold as different size for front and back. What one have you got and are they still available?

Was sold as different size for front and back. What one have you got and are they still available?
Front and rear are identical. Here is a link to the original plates ( not a knockoff):

The original mark Plaia design used different reinforcement plates front and rear. Some time in the late 00's there was a snag in shipping from the shop that made the plates, and the rear (smaller) plates did not make it to Mark. The shop re-did them, and eventually the original shipment also arrived. Mark now had a set of rear plates without matching fronts, and the idea was tossed around of using the rear design on the front as well. And thus there is at least one batch of the original Paia plates where front and rear are identical.

Last edited:
That's not a bad idea, was there a reason you installed them this way over under them?
2 reasons: I had seen aftermarket strut braces for Honda Civics, etc, and OE braces like Lancia Beta and they were on top. Also, the pieces I bought ( I do not know where I got them--probably Chris Obert). It seemed obvious to me they fit well on top.

The original mark Plaia design used different reinforcement plates front and rear. Some time in the late 00's there was a snag in shipping from the shop that made the plates, and the rear (smaller) plates did not make it to Mark. The shop re-did them, and eventually the original shipment also arrived. Mark now had a set of rear plates without matching fronts, and the idea was tossed around of using the rear design on the front as well. And thus there is at leas one batch of the original Paia plates where front and rear are identical.
I just got a set from Chris a few months back and all the plates are identical.

I just got a set from Chris a few months back and all the plates are identical.
Wonder why the set I have is using two types. They both seem to fit in the cavity fine. The larger plate is for the back so maybe to spread more load? Unsure why different to the others sold.

Wonder why the set I have is using two types. They both seem to fit in the cavity fine. The larger plate is for the back so maybe to spread more load? Unsure why different to the others sold.

Ummm......which of those plates did you try to fit in the rear ? The smaller - or larger - of the two sizes ??

Ummm......which of those plates did you try to fit in the rear ? The smaller - or larger - of the two sizes ??
I tried the large at the back as did not fit the front cavity so believe I have them the correct way around. That also crossed my mind that may have had them the wrong way.

I tried the large at the back as did not fit the front cavity so believe I have them the correct way around. That also crossed my mind that may have had them the wrong way.

Ummm....the larger ones are for the front. They are not symmetrical so only go in one way. If they do not appear to fit properly....turn them over...

The smaller ones are for the rear.

Try that.........

Ummm....the larger ones are for the front. They are not symmetrical so only go in one way. If they do not appear to fit properly....turn them over...

The smaller ones are for the rear.

Try that.........
Hmm okay, I'm sure I tried the large ones in the front and could not get them to fit but will make sure as was doing all sorts of things that day.

Back