Stupid question time...

budgetzagato

Administrator
On the trip to Ore'12 my engine bay got sprayed with a little oil, and at first I mistakenly thought it was from the crankcase catch can I threw together at the last minute.

Turns out it's likely the rear main seal though.

So, I could pull the transaxle and replace just the seal, which I have, but I could also spend close to $200 more and change the clutch disc, pressure plate and T.O. bearing while I'm in there.

Thoughts?

Pulling them apart is never fun so "while you are at it" is a good strategy. I order the set, throw out bearing, pressure plate and friction disc to minimize the chance of a $15 part ruining my day. Is there a special clip for the throw out bearing? If so that might also be worth acquiring.

Is it your daily or can it be down for two weekends and the week between while parts are shipped? That way you can inspect the parts and order up what you need.

How did the oil come to be sprayed all over the engine bay? Was it dripping out the bottom and then carried around the engine bay?

Fun all the teething problems we find and correct in the first months/years of ownership. A piece at a time.

If it was me

I'd replace the disk, pressure plate and to bearing as well as having the fly wheel resurfaced. I hate pulling the transaxle on an X 1/9, don't know what kind of a job it is on a Scorp.
Good luck,

If oil got on the PP and flywheel

then you should definitely change them. And if oil from the rear main seal is all over your engine bay, then I don't see how the clutch area would not be completely soaked.

Pete

Gregory,
Do you have any idea when the clutch was done? Should be good for 100k but then you don't know the po's.

I would get a look at it, you can get a clutch pack inside a week I bet.
Kind of depends on how long you want the project to take.
:2c:

thanks guys...

I figured doing it all was the correct course, just wanted some encouragement I guess.

The oil gets everywhere because the transaxle has openings on top, and with the airflow at 70mph+ it gets pretty evenly distributed, but only on the transaxle side. It's dripping from the transaxle/engine joint at the bottom too. Before the trip it was not noticeable, but I haven't driven it that much. But a lot of things become noticeable after 450 miles. :)

Even stupider...

So, the oil leak that was first mis-diagnosed by me as crankcase vent spray is mis-diagnosed again, it's not the rear main. It's a leak from the head gasket below the intake manifold, or so it seems.

I'm going to investigate further with a strong light and mirror and perhaps an engine bath so I can see where the fresh oil comes from.

This was discovered while on the phone with Csaba trying to determine what vintage my 2 liter block is. Found the fuel pump blank plate and this oil leak.

So, in closing, I may not need $200 of clutch disc and bearings and seals but I might need to pull the head and replace the head gasket. Before I do that I'll try re-torquing the damn thing.

It's still a blast to drive though!:woot:

Well, FWIW, my oil leak I thought was head gasket turned out to be cam tower. I stuck a clean paper towel where I thought it was and "proved" it to myself, glad I did.

Hmmm

In retrospect, a rear main seal leaking bad enough to create that much of a mess would most likely have allowed oil to soak the clutch friction material and that would have been evident while driving.:geek:

Back