Suggestion for painting bottom of rain tray

glenegan

True Classic
So the paint on the underside of the rain tray on the engine cover looks a lot like rubberized undercoating. But i am not sure that would stand up to the engine heat.
Has anybody else painted this? What kind of paint would you suggest?

Cheers,

Glen

Actually...

Spray-on rubberized undercoating will stand up to the heat just fine. You can paint over undercoating. To dress up existing coatings, any paint will work, I prefer a satin black.

Texture on rain tray

I suspect the texture on the rain tray is for sound attenuation. They all have it. If your is OK, then paint over it. If it is damaged, strip it and re-apply. There are materials to match this perfectly. Any quality shop can do this ( take that to mean one in ten)
Bob T.

It's fine...

I used similar on the inside of my engine cover on my rear-engine 850. The undercoating is not very soft once it dries. If you like black you don't even need to paint it. It makes a good anti-resonance coating for flat panels, much lighter than "brown bread" or dynamat®.

Rain tray repaint...........!

.....Has anybody else painted this? What kind of paint would you suggest?......

.......I used black POR 15 to repaint the underside of the rain tray on my 1300 X. It has a semi-gloss finish and is highly heat-resistant also!
I did the job about 8 years ago and it still looks good!

cheers, Ian - NZ

Back