Sunday wrenching...

budgetzagato

Administrator
Spent some time today with the Budget Scorpion. Changed out the old (how old? see pic) thermostat with the new one from Obert. I think the stamping on the existing Whaler thermostat indicates it's an 80ºC thermostat built in 1/95.

IMG_1085.jpg

Engine now warms up normally and hovers around 180ºF-190ºF underway and idling. Old one seems to have some sort of wad of blue goo in the mechanism. Not sure this would keep it from closing or make it open too quickly or what, that would make it run cold. Regardless the new one fixed the problem.

IMG_1081.jpg

Also installed a hard-start relay as I did with my X, on Saturday during a tech session for FEN. Had about 6 people watching me install it after explaining the theory behind it.

starter-02.jpg

A bit difficult getting all the wires on the (30) terminal of the starter but successful. Also replaced the large rubber boot while I was down there.

IMG_1079.jpg

After all that I spent most of the rest of the day dodging hail storms as I started cleaning the engine, transaxle and engine bay. Looking 100% better despite being about 25% done with that task.

The last task was to adjust the carb, something I actually hadn't bothered with until now. I used the Weber 38DGAS instructions posted on the Lancisti forum from Redline (www.REDLINEWEBER.com). Seems to run much better, I think it was way too rich on the idle circuits which also seemed to affect transition. We'll see after another tank of gas how the mileage is.

Wow Greg, you really cleaned house!

Garage I mean... :grin:
Looks like a fun time. Last time I was there you had it filled up with Fiat stuff.
I'm thinking I need another trip to Seattle sometime soon. :dance2::nod:

Welcome anytime...

And yes you'd be impressed with the state of my garage now. I added a shed storage area to house my build business equipment and materials. This freed up enough space in the garage to reorganize and tidy up. I did sell a fair amount of excess parts as well. It's a two-car garage for the first time ever.

But mostly I like to have the extra room for projects, like the Budget Scorpion. :grin:

PNW attire is.....

Hello budgetzagato,

...bundled up ! For those located south of us this might be a very unfamiliar dress.

Ooops, I missed a FEN gathering. I suppose I should keep a closer eye on the clubs schedule. I would have made that one to be inspired by the professor.

You captured an amazing photo Gregory !!!!

Which one ? The "extra room" view.

I'm speechless, awestruck, and amazed (by)

the Tapered legs on the workbench :thumbsup:

lezesig
'72 X 1/18

Last edited:
Way to go Greg,

Dr. Wifey must be very proud.
Now, if it can only stay that way! Ha! :help:
Of course, that would mean never working in your garage, right. :D

Looks great. :thumbsup:

Thanks for noticing...

I built that 4'x8' workbench several years ago. It has a habit of getting covered. The FEN tech session was a good excuse to get some of its real estate cleared.

Underneath nestles another butcher-block workbench on casters I picked up for free in front of a storage place. Just needed a leg mended.

The X1/9 display above is one Mac put together. Quite a collection of stickers, posters and even a BERTONE nose graphic for late cars. Below that is my Haynes etc. collection and a 240v heater. The garage is insulated, including the bypass doors.

Sadly there are still some "non-garage" items in there; camping stuff, Marmoleum® and water-based paint etc. which shouldn't be allowed to freeze. But mostly it's a car-hobby zone as it should be. :)

Can't seem to sell my old Vanagon rims/tires. Perhaps they will become the winter package foundation, could use studs a few weeks a year it seems. The other item is Wayne's spare Scorpion fuel tank, which I plan on converting to an F.I. tank for my conversion by installing a bottom feed for the F.I. pump. :)

Back