Superbright LED....

M. Lawson

True Classic
I am looking into replacing my lights with LED. All but tyecheadkight for now....

SuperbrightLED shows bulb replacement's for all of my lights....but how accurate are they? Does anyone have experience using these? What should I look out for? Will I need to install resistors on all of them or are they truly plug and play?

Everything but the headlights on my car are LED. I have been running them for four or five years now. I don't have resistors so the blinkers are fast. From what I have read the rate of flashing set by DOT is 60 to 160 flashes per second. I am just under the wire at 140 FPS. I kind of like them that fast. The lower amp draw is noticeable. when you get LED's remember that you use amber on amber lens and red on red lens. White LED light will show white through colored lenses.

So blinker goes fast due to lack of resistor I assume? Edit- just read that you said you they blink fast due to lack of resistor...sorry. Lol.
Were all other bulbs plug and play? No soldering needed?

Everything but the headlights on my car are LED. I have been running them for four or five years now. I don't have resistors so the blinkers are fast. From what I have read the rate of flashing set by DOT is 60 to 160 flashes per second. I am just under the wire at 140 FPS. I kind of like them that fast. The lower amp draw is noticeable. when you get LED's remember that you use amber on amber lens and red on red lens. White LED light will show white through colored lenses.

Last edited:
Here is the list of bulbs that are supposed to replace all exterior bulbs except headlights (I do not feel like spending an additional $260 on top of this right now. Lol.

Side marker Amber - 194 LED WEDGE Amber
Side marker Red - 194 LED WEDGE Red

Front Turn Amber - 1157 LED Dual Function 27SMD LED Tower Bay15D Amber

Rear Turn Red (I have all red tail lens) 1157 LED Dual Function 27SMD LED Tower Bay15D Red

Brake light - 1156 LED Bulb 18SMD LED Tower Ba15S Red

Tail light Red - 67-R12-G 67 LED Bulb 12 LED Forward Firing Cluster BA15S

Reverse light - 67-R12-G 67 LED Bulb 12 LED Forward Firing Cluster BA15S - White

Does this seem to match up with others that have replaced with LED?

I recently replaced my externals with Superbrites (except headlights); very noticeable improvement of available power.
Your list above is incorrect, rear turns are single filament 1156 like brake lights, and you omitted white 67 for license light (the ones with the glass bulb around the LEDs is a little long, I bent the bulb holders to get the bulbs to fit into the housings).
The "domestic" flasher they carry is the correct pinout for my 86, I'm not sure if earlier cars use the same one. I had an 'electronic' flasher in before, The LEDs didn't have enough draw to make it work correctly.
I also replaced the interior door lights with their 38mm/3LED festoon bulbs, the delay timer still works with these and they look nice.

Load resistors, in my opinion, would negate the lower draw of the LEDs by replacing the load of the filaments with the resistor(s).

I'm quite happy with the results- now to install the headlight relays and the 55/100W Hellas I have...

Good Luck
Jeff

Last edited:
Good to know, I will make sure I get the 1156 for rear turns.
I didn't get license plate light replacements because I am considering alternative options for lighting the license plate. The stock housing have always bugged me, so may move to something more slim.

I recently replaced my externals with Superbrites (except headlights); very noticeable improvement of available power.
Your list above is incorrect, rear turns are single filament 1156 like brake lights, and you omitted white 67 for license light (the ones with the glass bulb around the LEDs is a little long, I bent the bulb holders to get the bulbs to fit into the housings).
The "domestic" flasher they carry is the correct pinout for my 86, I'm not sure if earlier cars use the same one. I had an 'electronic' flasher in before, The LEDs didn't have enough draw to make it work correctly.
I also replaced the interior door lights with their 38mm/3LED festoon bulbs, the delay timer still works with these and they look nice.

Load resistors, in my opinion, would negate the lower draw of the LEDs by replacing the load of the filaments with the resistor(s).

I'm quite happy with the results- now to install the headlight relays and the 55/100W Hellas I have...

Good Luck
Jeff

Good Luck
Jeff

I recently tried to replace my tail light bulbs making all my bulbs LED, and had the same problem...I also have an electronic flasher...... can you enlighten us with the flasher that worked for you?

http://www.velocesolutionsllc.com/

This is where I bought my led kit from. Works great. Comes with every bulb for exterior lighting along with the correct flasher. Just make sure to note what color your rear turn signal lenses are.

Look for the "lookup by marque" button and you'll see it'll give you two options for dash lighting or exterior lighting.

I used their FL-3-RED flasher. I had forgotten about the Velocesolutions kit Jose refers to; thru Superbright it ran about $160; I don't know how they compare to the Cree bulbs, but I like the look I ended up with.

Cree is pretty much top of the line when it comes to LEDs in my experience. I have met with them several times for work related activities and the products we have done with them have been top notch.

I buy LEDs from SuperBright all the time for work and have had nothing but excellent service and great products. I highly recommend them as a source.

Cree is pretty much top of the line when it comes to LEDs in my experience. I have met with them several times for work related activities and the products we have done with them have been top notch.

I buy LEDs from SuperBright all the time for work and have had nothing but excellent service and great products. I highly recommend them as a source.

Superbright LEDs is about 10 miles from my house. Unfortunately, they are internet only and don't have a retail storefront to allow walk ins. They are hiring all the time, but you have to have electrical skills.

guess I need to get out the electrical diagrams....I have a 77, wonder if they use the same flasher...anyone know off hand?

Installed the lights, looks good. My signals don't work properly..... No flashing at all. I did not get the inline resistors, I figured they would flash quickly..but they don't at all.
Looking into finding an electronic led compatible flasher relay to replace the stock, see if that will fix it, trying to avoid cutting wires. Lol.

We went through that on our pickup. The flasher needs a certain amount of current drawn through it to cause the flasher to flash. LED bulbs do not draw enough current for it to work. That is why they recommend those load resistors to be used in parallel with the LED bulbs, to draw more current, (which seems to defeat a lot of the reason for using them in the first place, meaning lower current draw). Some vehicles will not flash like that when even one of the regular filament type bulbs burn out. Your idea of searching for an electronic flasher designed to work with LED bulbs is a really good idea. I have seen a few, but have not tried them out yet. I, for one will be very interested in what you turn up.

It was my dad's suggestion. Having some trouble finding one locally...may be an item I will need to order online.

We went through that on our pickup. The flasher needs a certain amount of current drawn through it to cause the flasher to flash. LED bulbs do not draw enough current for it to work. That is why they recommend those load resistors to be used in parallel with the LED bulbs, to draw more current, (which seems to defeat a lot of the reason for using them in the first place, meaning lower current draw). Some vehicles will not flash like that when even one of the regular filament type bulbs burn out. Your idea of searching for an electronic flasher designed to work with LED bulbs is a really good idea. I have seen a few, but have not tried them out yet. I, for one will be very interested in what you turn up.

Superbright sells the LED flashers as well as the lights. There are a few flashers listed for "German/European" cars. Bob B's old thread in Xweb1.0 Best Of section has dead links, but he says to search for "3 PIN ELECTRONIC LED FLASHER BLINKER FIX" on Ebay. So maybe just pick one of the the 3 pin "German/European" flashers??? Bob??

Jefco already mentions the FL-3-RED flasher which is the "domestic flasher". I've been using them for years w/o any issues.
If you use a different maker just make sure they have the pilot light output pin.
81 should be the same as the late models I think.
Flasher is located on the top RH side of the relay panel on a 81.

Back