Surprise gift: another X1/9!

JDExSquid

Dodge 2.2TII Swap
I was on the way back from the Sunday FIAT drive to Dahlonega when I received a call. A gentleman I had spoken to over a year ago about possibly buying his X called me out of the blue (he kept my number all this time!) and told me to come get it if I want it! Needless to say, by Monday afternoon it was in my driveway! 1981 with 74,000 original miles. It has some rust, but not too terrible. Biggest spots are the passenger pillar and around the windshield. The body is very straight with no visible dings, but the paint is history. I believe I can bring this one back to life.
81X19004.jpg

81X19008.jpg

81X19007.jpg

81X19006.jpg

81X19005.jpg

81X19003.jpg

81X19002.jpg

81X19001.jpg

81X19009.jpg

The dash has a couple of cracks in the usual places

and the carpet is a bit faded, but the seats are perfect as are the door panels. The car sat in the same place for ten years after the clutch master went out. He just never got around to fixing it!

Nice Bus!

Any more pics of it? I have been looking to retro one for a motorhome for quite a while. I like the older style such as yours.

Eric

Always nice to have another in the stable!

no one likes rust and I have not had to do the cowel rust repair at least not holes (knock on wood) but pics always make it look worse than it is right?

I love that interior. I had that same color scheme in one of my former X's and I thought it was great!

Have fun!

The rust is very real!

I don't really mind repairing the door cowl. It may even help in the long run as I will have access to the inside of the cowl and spray rust inhibitor inside. Engine cover is rusty, but repairable. Underneath the car looks amazing (so far) as one of the previous owners seems to have put some serious undercoating under there.

I'll have to inspect every inch of this car to make sure there are no hidden surprises, but it's no different than what I went through with my current X. I'm still amazed that my wife let it in the drive! I guess the "free" thing couldn't have hurt my cause!

Eric, I'll be PM-ing you about the bus.

Congrats Jim.It is always lucky to drive up here to Vogel:) You're right,the interior is exactly the same as mine.Next year Mary can drive her own X up here on the drive!
Craig

Craig, I told her what you said

and I think she is happy enough being a copilot! She REALLY likes her cushy Honda minivan with the leather and the heated seats! She's not too fond of getting back out of the X, either (noise level goes WAY up!!!).

So far I've just about completed refurbishing the engine cover and the windshield is close to coming out. Bumpers and assoc. pieces are off. I hate rust. The body is in very good shape except for the few isolated spots of heavy rust. I'll try my skills at replacing metal and I promise not to turn it into that V8 "museum piece" that turns up on ebay from time to time!

Back