sway bars anchoring points? please help

cozzoi

George
I've got front and rear sway bars for my X with stock suspension and need advice on how to install them, anchoring points, etc.
Does anybody have pictures?
thanks in advance.
George

There are none.

What bars did you get? There should be instructions.

Most front bars clamp to the radius arms. There are several options for the rear depending on the particular bar. Most require at least some drilling to mount.

Personally, i would skip the rear bar.

You mean like this?...

This is my own take on the mounting.
DSCN3785.jpg

DSCN3787.jpg

DSCN3786-1.jpg

Ciao,

sway bars

Thank you for your prompt response, I purchased both AADCO sway bars used with hardware but without instructions ($100). What I don't have are those huge adaptors shown on Mark's Plaia pictures. Do I really need those? Also, I will keep the stock suspension.

AADCO Sway bars

Hi Mark,
thank you so much for the pictures, do I need to fabricate those aluminum adapters to install them? My suspension is stock.

Hey George I have those original instructions

from Addco for both the front & rear bars.

Here is the rear... I'll post the front tonight after work.

DSC00055.jpg

DSC00056.jpg

Front Sway bar mounts

Hi Chris, do you have a set in stock? Please, let me know so I can order it.
Thanks
George

Rear bar...

Be sure to weld a reinforcement plate for the frame mounts on the rear bar. The metal is thin back there and it will rip right out at the worst time. Mine ripped when I was driving the Dragon's back, quite a surprise. Once the additional steel is there, it will work great.

I know most say the rear bar is not needed and they are correct. I simply like the tighter feel it gives the car. I don't compete my car so it is more about road feel than track numbers. Have fun.
Brett

Hi Chris, do you have a set in stock? Please, let me know so I can order it.
Thanks
George

George,
The web page is updated every hour, so if it says we have them, factoring out human error, we have them. If I am out of stock it's simple to make up more, the delay will be when I have time when I get home. And after I replace the motor on my band saw, it started blowing the shop fuse last time I had it on!

I have a rear set and I have had a few people say that all its going to do is make me lose control and hit a tree. PLease discuss this...:italia:

HAHAHA!!!

I have a rear set and I have had a few people say that all its going to do is make me lose control and hit a tree. PLease discuss this...:italia:

That is completely dependant on the driver. :dunce:

The swaybar has two basic functions, reduce body roll and transfer weight across the axle. The byproduct of the swaybar is to reduce mechanical grip on the end of the car it is installed on.

The reduced body roll gives the car a much tighter feel so it will transition faster. While somebody above noted that they tested a car with stock suspension with and without a rear bar and found it faster with the rear bar, this is highly subjective. Driver skill, surface, tires and the track layout are some of the variable that will effect the results. I have driven a number of X's with and without a rear bar. I am almost always faster without the rear bar.

The reason you don't want a rear bar is the bar reduces mechanical grip. Because of the mid-engined layout, the resulting "trailing throttle oversteer" is only made worse by the addition of a rear bar. Therefore, a driver would likely drive faster due to the increased confidence he has from the improved feel of the car with the rear bar. Add to that the increase in trailing throttle oversteer and you have a recipe for the less experienced driver to find himself parked in the trees looking at the spot where he left the road.

Thanks Steve. I had a feeling I was just being slung an insult with the comment..LOL.. I will intall it right away and proceed to the trees...:rolleyes2: On a serious note I am interested in feeling the effects. Does it hurt to just install the rear but not the front? I dont have a front sway bar...

Back