Switch internals?

Lowtechprime

Retro Grouch
I took this switch apart to clean it and replace the bulb, but this rocker fell out before I could see what it's orientation was...😡 That rocker goes to the left or the right, but I don't see how it interacts with the bulb contact when the switch is on. The copper contacts on the middle part are for the bulb. It is a Cavis 6C fog lamp switch... Anyone know the proper way to reassemble? Also, for wiring. I don't have a diagram although I could probably extrapolate from another diagram..
IMG_20231027_205657723~2.jpg

IMG_20231027_205714970~2.jpg

IMG_20231027_210135895~2.jpg

IMG_20231027_210714251~2.jpg

I took this switch apart to clean it and replace the bulb, but this rocker fell out before I could see what it's orientation was...😡 That rocker goes to the left or the right, but I don't see how it interacts with the bulb contact when the switch is on. The copper contacts on the middle part are for the bulb. It is a Cavis 6C fog lamp switch... Anyone know the proper way to reassemble? Also, for wiring. I don't have a diagram although I could probably extrapolate from another diagram..
View attachment 78410
View attachment 78411
View attachment 78412
View attachment 78413
I would expect the wiring for the indicator bulb to be external to the switch, and that there would be no interaction between the rocker and the indicator bulb contact. My guess is that the rocker should be in the orientation you show in the top photo. This comes to you unencumbered by any actual knowledge.

That indicator has a yellow lens, I assume it should illuminate when switched on...
View attachment 78414
Perhaps, but I still think the wiring for that would be external to the switch. If there is only one light bulb, I would expect it to be for the icon on the other half of the switch. Do you have a wiring diagram for where this switch is used?

Last edited:
I haven't done this particular switch, but I have disassembled and reassembled others that are similar. And yes, they tend to fall all apart on disassembly before you can see how things go. :mad: However I found if you get things in there incorrectly you will realize it shortly and can try another way until you get it right....it only works one way. There's some older threads about rebuilding switches that might help.

Also, I wouldn't assume anything with these electrical systems. :p

When I took it apart, the bulb was on the right side where the amber part is, not on the side where the light logo is. I realize I could just try it both ways, but it's a 50 year old plastic switch, it's pretty brittle and you have to flex it a bit to get it apart. I wanted to limit how many times I did that. I can't find a diagram that has that switch. Supposedly it was used on 127's, 128's and X 1/9's...

I guess I could wire a jumper that sends current through the light when the switch is energized....

Last edited:
Here's a couple of older threads on switch repair. See if there's anything in them that helps:

Back