Tach and Speedometer needles

Larry

True Classic
Is there a fix for when the tach and speedometer needles start to bend. The ones in my '79 were not bent but the car spent some time in a hot environment and the result is the needles are starting to bend.

Has anyone 3D printed new needles? Or is the only real alternative to swap in a new to the car instrument cluster or speedometer and tach?

Larry

3D printing would work but it would need a bit more sanding and smoothing than usual to look right, if you have some plastic a similar color to what you want the needles you could cut a piece and file it to the correct shape. I have a 3d printer but I would probably go with cutting a needle out of some plastic, because the amount of sanding to get rid of layer lines will be a similar level of work and accuracy but I wouldn't have to model it and wait for the printer.

Last edited:
3D printing would work but it would need a bit more sanding and smoothing than usual to look right, i
When you say "look right," do you mean under close inspection when you're comparing the new 3D printed one and the original?

I think if I can get something to straight, once it's installed, the only time I'll glance at the speedometer is when I'm going through an area with an active city, county or state revenue generating employee. And even then, I usually use a GPS app on my phone since my speedo is off due to running 185/60-13 tires.

My goal here is to have the speedo and tach to look "good." Well an accurate tach is nice for those Italian Tune Ups.

f you have some plastic a similar color to what you want the needles you could cut a piece and file it to the correct shape. I have a 3d printer but I would probably go with cutting a needle out of some plastic, because the amount of sanding to get rid of layer lines will be a similar level of work and accuracy but I wouldn't have to model it and wait for the printer.
From reading through the "Paging 3D Printer People" thread, I wasn't sure if the weight is an issue or not. If the new needle weighs "too much" can that affect the mechanism that moves the needle? (pun intended)

3D printing would work but it would need a bit more sanding and smoothing than usual to look right, if you have some plastic a similar color to what you want the needles you could cut a piece and file it to the correct shape. I have a 3d printer but I would probably go with cutting a needle out of some plastic, because the amount of sanding to get rid of layer lines will be a similar level of work and accuracy but I wouldn't have to model it and wait for the printer.

I already modeled it for you and it's a 6 minute print max. I posted the model here: https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/paging-3d-printer-people.37519/post-386531

Back